Husband To Serve Five Months For Hotel Room Attack On Wife

OCEAN CITY — A Brooklyn Park, Md. man, arrested in June after attacking his wife in a downtown hotel room, pleaded guilty last week to second-degree assault and was sentenced to five years in jail, all but five months of which were suspended.

Around 7:25 p.m. on June 21, an Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) bicycle officer on patrol near 6th Street responded to a reported assault at a hotel nearby. The hotel manager told Ocean City Communications a female in the room had called the front desk for security because she was fighting with her husband, later identified as Kevin Porter, 40. When the woman was asked by the hotel manager if she needed the police, she reportedly responded “No, I am okay. I have a gun.”

Upon arrival, the OCPD officer approached the hotel room door and observed the female victim lying on her back, crying, gasping and struggling to breathe, according to police reports.

After police directed their guns to the suspect, identified as Porter, he complied with the officers’ demands and was taken into custody. The victim was treated at the scene by Ocean City EMS.

According to police reports, she had various injuries, red marks, bruises and a laceration on her leg, all of which appeared to be fresh. The victim told police the injuries were the result of Porter assaulting her, according to police reports. The victim told police she and Porter had been staying in the hotel room since the Friday before the incident and that she wanted to sleep and laid down on the bed.

However, Porter insisted they go out to more bars and grabbed the victim by the hair, spun her around and began choking her, according to police reports. Porter then pulled her off the bed and dragged her around the room by her hair, according to the victim’s testimony. Porter then shouted at the victim, “I am going to [expletive deleted] kill you,” according to police reports.

Porter was arrested and charged with first-degree assault and other charges. When read his Miranda rights and warnings, Porter told police, “I plead the Fifth.”

Last week, Porter pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was sentenced to five years. All but five months of the sentenced were then suspended. He was also placed on supervised probation for three years.

About The Author: Shawn Soper

Alternative Text

Shawn Soper has been with The Dispatch since 2000. He began as a staff writer covering various local government beats and general stories. His current positions include managing editor and sports editor. Growing up in Baltimore before moving to Ocean City full time three decades ago, Soper graduated from Loch Raven High School in 1981 and from Towson University in 1985 with degrees in mass communications with a journalism concentration and history.