Mallards Win Overtime Thriller Over Seahawks

Mallards Win Overtime Thriller Over Seahawks
Worcester Prep's Tucker Brown led the Mallards to a thrilling overtime win Thursday. Photos by Shawn Soper

BERLIN — Thursday’s annual backyard brawl between Worcester Prep’s boys’ varsity lacrosse team and neighborhood rival Stephen Decatur produced another classic in the long series with the Mallards winning in overtime.

It’s always special when crosstown rivals Stephen Decatur and Worcester Prep face off and this year produced another classic. The Seahawks hosted the Mallards on Thursday in front of a big bipartisan crowd and had control of the game before Senior Tucker Brown’s heroics in the fourth quarter and in overtime. As the sun set and the temperature dropped, the Mallards heated up at just the right time and snatched the late victory over the Seahawks.

Emotions were high as both teams took the field, but the Seahawks and Mallards settled down in a well-played, low-scoring game. Worcester’s Alec Dembeck got the Mallards on the board first with a goal at the 9:22 mark in the first quarter. Decatur’s Dom Klebe than countered with a hard shot from the top of the box to tie the game at 1-1 with 2:13 remaining, which is how the first quarter ended.

Less than a minute into the second quarter, Decatur’s Parker Wheeler scored to put the Seahawks ahead, 2-1. Brown scored for Worcester with 9:52 left in the second quarter to tie the game at 2-2. With seven minutes left in the second, Decatur’s Kevin Beck scored to put the Seahawks ahead again, 3-2. Worcester’s Dakin Moore tied the game at 3-3 with just under five minutes remaining and the two teams went into the half tied at 3-3.

With the sun setting and the temperature dropping, most of the big crowd retreated to their vehicles for more layers for what would promise to be a dramatic second half. In the third quarter, the game intensified with both teams picking up penalties in what was becoming a decidedly chippy contest between the familiar rivals.


Decatur’s Charlie Coates makes a move in Thursday night’s game.

The third quarter was scoreless for a long time as both keepers made save after save as the tension mounted. Decatur’s Colin Eichelberger scored an extra-man goal with 1:21 left in the third to put the Seahawks ahead, 4-3. Then, with 19 seconds left, Eichelberger scored again to extend the lead to 5-3 as the third quarter expired.

Every possession and every faceoff became critical in the fourth as the two teams continued to battle. Decatur had contained Brown to a large degree throughout the contest, but the big crowd sensed Worcester’s prolific scorer was going to have a say in the outcome as the clock ticked down.

With six minutes remaining, Brown found teammate Sam Cantello open on the crease with a great assist and Cantello converted to cut the Decatur lead to 5-4. Decatur controlled the ball with time ticking down and remained to be seen if the Seahawks could run out the clock and hold on. With just under two minutes remaining, Brown fired a top-shelf laser just under the crossbar to tie the game at 5-5.


Worcester Prep’s Graham McColgan makes a move against a Decatur defender.

Both teams had opportunities in the last minutes, but the clock ran out and the game was heading to overtime. With just under two minutes left in the overtime period, Brown fired home an extra-man goal for the sudden-death win, touching off a wild celebration for the Mallards. The jubilant Brown tossed his stick in the air as he was mobbed by his teammates.

About The Author: Shawn Soper

Alternative Text

Shawn Soper has been with The Dispatch since 2000. He began as a staff writer covering various local government beats and general stories. His current positions include managing editor and sports editor. Growing up in Baltimore before moving to Ocean City full time three decades ago, Soper graduated from Loch Raven High School in 1981 and from Towson University in 1985 with degrees in mass communications with a journalism concentration and history.