Knife Threat In Dispute Over Parking Spot

Knife Threat In Dispute Over Parking Spot
Social Issues Government

BERLIN — A Salisbury man faces first-degree assault charges this week after allegedly pulling a knife on another man at the Wal-Mart on Route 50 early Tuesday morning during a dispute over a parking space.

Around 2:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Wal-Mart in Berlin for a reported group of disorderly individuals. Upon arrival, deputies met with an individual who said he and his fiancé were involved in a verbal argument with two other individuals over a parking spot.

The victim told police during the verbal altercation, a white male later identified as Steven Edward Behr, Jr., 28, of Salisbury, threatened him with a knife. After completing an investigation, Behr was placed under arrest and charged with first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was ordered to be held without bond.

Jersey Man Charged In Alleged Assault

OCEAN CITY — A New Jersey man was arrested on first-degree assault and other charges this week after allegedly striking his girlfriend with a telephone and choking her with the cord to the point she nearly passed out.

Around 11 p.m. last Sunday, Ocean City Police were dispatched to a hotel on 37th Street for a reported assault. The officer met with the female victim who said he had been in a physical altercation with her boyfriend, identified as Michael Sachkowsky, 41, of Ridgefield, N.J. The victim told police Sachkowsky punched a hole in her suitcase and ripped in half two of her bathing suit tops.

The victim told police Sachkowsky then ripped the hotel phone from her hand and disconnected the cord before striking her in the face with the telephone receiver. According to police reports, the officer observed injuries consistent with the victim’s story including bruising and a cut on her cheek.

The victim told police she attempted to flee the room, but Sachkowsky slammed her leg in the door and then grabbed her by the ankle and leg and dragged her back inside. The officer observed multiple bruises on the victim’s knees, shins and ankles consistent with her story. The victim told police Sachkowsky then pushed her down on the bed and grabbed the cord to a phone charger, wrapping it around her neck and choking her.

The victim told police Sachkowsky tightened the cord around her neck until she was unable to breathe or talk. She said she felt the blood rushing to her head as she stared at Sachowsky before he suddenly released the cord. The victim told police Sachkowsky then pushed her into a chair and raised his fist as if he was going to strike her. She said she was pushed to the ground at least two or three more times.

The officer observed multiple injuries on the victim corroborating her story. According to police reports, she had bruising along her arms from her shoulders to her wrists. She was unable to straighten the fingers on her right hand because of the pain. The officer also observed bruising and abrasions on the victim’s back and she had a lump on the back of her head and a cut on her lip area and the side of her face.

The victim told police she had been dating Sachkowsky for about three years and they had been living together in New Jersey off and on since November. Sachowsky has been charged with first- and second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was released on recognizance.

Above-Ground Pool Theft

BERLIN — A Delaware man was arrested on theft and trespassing charges after allegedly attempting to steal an above ground pool from the Wal-Mart in Berlin last Friday afternoon.

Around 12:30 p.m. last Friday, Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the Wal-Mart on Route 50 for a reported theft. Upon arrival, a deputy was met by the complainant, who advised a suspect identified as Christopher Benson, 32, of Laurel, Del., was stopped by the store’s loss prevention agent while attempting to steal an above-ground pool.

During the investigation, it was learned Benson had been detained at other Wal-Mart stores in the area for shoplifting and trespassing and had been told to stay of all Wal-Mart properties. Benson was arrested and charged with theft under $1,000 and trespassing. He was later released on criminal citations.

Downtown Cottage Fire

OCEAN CITY — Early notification by the crew at a downtown restaurant and bar led to a quick response by the Ocean City Fire Department to a residential fire last Thursday evening.

Around 10 p.m. last Thursday, Ocean City Communications received a call from employees at de Lazy Lizard advising first responders of a fire in the area of 1st Street and St. Louis Ave. The Ocean City Fire Department was dispatched and arrived on the scene quickly, locating the fire burning in a small efficiency cottage in the rear yard of a residence south of 1st Street on St. Louis Ave.

“The early notification of the fire department led to a quick extinguishment by arriving engine crews,” said OCFD Captain Josh Bunting. “Damage was limited to the cottage of origin, which was unoccupied at the time of the fire. Thankfully, no one was hurt.”

Neighboring residences were temporarily evacuated for safety, bur residents returned to their homes after the fire was brought under control. Anyone with information about the fire, prior to the arrival of the fire department, is urged to contact the Fire Marshal’s Office at 410-289-8780.

Second Victim In Pocomoke Fire Dies

POCOMOKE — A second victim of a suspicious fire in Pocomoke in June 6 succumbed to his injuries this week as the investigation into the cause of the blaze continues.

Around 5 a.m. on June 6, the Pocomoke Volunteer Fire Company responded to a reported residential structure fire on Market Street. Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke and fire extending from the two-and-a-half story single-family residential dwelling.

Firefighters made entry into the residence and quickly located a victim on the first floor. The victim was transported by Pocomoke EMS to PRMC in Salisbury and was later transported to the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore. During a secondary search of the residence, a second victim was discovered deceased on the first floor.

The victim discovered deceased on the day of the fire has been identified as James Earl Aspdin, 24, of Pocomoke. The second victim, who was transported to the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore died on Monday, over a week after the fatal fire. He has been identified as Patrick S. Richards, 27, also of Pocomoke.

The fire was quickly extinguished with the Pocomoke Volunteer Fire Company assisted by companies from Stockton, Girdletree and New Church. Firefighters remained on the scene for about five hours. The Worcester County Bureau of Investigation and the Pocomoke Police Department are assisting with the investigation. Anyone with additional information is urged to contact Worcester County Fire Marshal Chief Deputy Matt Owens at 410-632-5666.