Alleged Heroin Overdose Dealer Busted

OCEAN CITY- A Georgetown, Delaware man was arrested on heroin distribution charges last week after an investigation revealed he provided the drugs that caused a local man to overdose before being revived.

Last Tuesday, Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) officers responded to a residence on Old Landing Road in reference to a CPR in progress which turned out to be a heroin overdose. Upon arrival, OCPD officers located a male individual lying unconscious on the floor of a bedroom in one of the units in the residence. The victim’s wife was administering CPR on him until one of the OCPD officers took over.

Despite the CPR attempts, the victim remained unconscious and unresponsive until Ocean City paramedics arrived and administered Narcan, at which time he became responsive. The victim was transported to Atlantic General Hospital for treatment. It was later learned the victim was on work release from the Worcester County Jail and had been working earlier that night at a midtown restaurant. He was treated at AGH for around 45 minutes until he was returned to the jail.

OCPD officers reviewed the evidence in the victim’s bedroom including two metal spoons, a hypodermic syringe, and two clear capsules, one of which was empty and the other which contained a tan powdery substance the officers recognized as heroin. The OCPD officers interviewed the victim’s wife, who said the victim had come home from work around 10:30 p.m. and had contacted an acquaintance later identified as Alex Dejournette, 29, of Georgetown, Delaware.

The victim’s wife told police Dejournette arrived a short time later and he and the victim went into a bathroom. The victim’s wife told police a short time later, the two men exited the bathroom. At that point, the two men entered a bedroom when the victim sat on a bed and then fell unconscious to the floor. The victim’s wife told police Dejournette began administering CPR on the victim until he learned other tenants in the building had called 911 and then he frantically fled the area, according to police reports. At that point, the victim’s wife resumed CPR, which is when the police arrived.

OCPD officers then spoke with the property manager, who acknowledged he had been the one to call 911. The witness told police he heard a commotion in the victim’s wife’s unit and when he knocked on the door, Dejournette answered. The witness told police he observed the victim on the floor unconscious and stepped out of the unit to call 911.

At that point, Dejournette ran out of the unit and frantically yelled he was leaving, according to police reports. The witness told police he attempted to detain Dejournette, but the suspect broke free and ran to a dark-colored Toyota sedan and fled the scene. The witness was able to get a Delaware tag number before the vehicle sped off. The witness told police it was obvious to him Dejournette had fled the scene because he knew police and paramedics would be arriving.

Two days later, OCPD officers went to the Worcester County Jail to interview the victim, who essentially corroborated the story provided by his wife and the property manager. The victim told police he had gotten off work and arranged to meet with Dejournette at the residence to complete the transaction of three heroin capsules for $60 along with $20 for gas money because the suspect was coming from Georgetown. Police later obtained a search warrant for the victim’s cell phone which essentially outlined the details of the deal through a series of text messages between the victim and Dejournette.

On Tuesday, Ocean City Police observed Dejournette traveling southbound on Coastal Highway in the area of 94th Street in the same Toyota in which he had been seen fleeing the scene five days earlier. He was taken into custody, and based on the witness testimony, the evidence collected at the scene and the totality of the evidence, Dejournette was charged with possession with intent to distribute heroin. After a bail review hearing on Wednesday, he was ordered to be held on a $75,000 bond.

About The Author: Shawn Soper

Alternative Text

Shawn Soper has been with The Dispatch since 2000. He began as a staff writer covering various local government beats and general stories. His current positions include managing editor and sports editor. Growing up in Baltimore before moving to Ocean City full time three decades ago, Soper graduated from Loch Raven High School in 1981 and from Towson University in 1985 with degrees in mass communications with a journalism concentration and history.