Ocean City Man Charged In Knife Threat

OCEAN CITY- An Ocean City man faces first-degree assault and other serious charges this week after allegedly threatening his visiting nephew with a knife on a downtown Ocean City street after a day of apparent St. Patrick’s Day revelry last Saturday.

Around 11:15 p.m. last Saturday, an OCPD officer on patrol in the area of Washington Lane and 4th Street observed two individuals yelling at each other as if there was going to be a fight. One of the individuals later identified as Roger Taylor, 60, of Ocean City, was following the other individual, later identified as his nephew, with his hands clenched.

Sensing a potential fight, the OCPD officer activated his siren as he approached the two individuals to make his presence known and prevent a fight. As the officer approached he observed Taylor walking toward his nephew holding a fixed-blade knife. The officer drew his gun and pointed it at Taylor, ordering him to drop the knife and get on the ground.

According to police reports, the officer observed instructed Taylor at least two times to drop the knife and get down on the ground. The officer then warned Taylor if he made a move toward the other man, he would shoot him. According to police reports, Taylor stood directly in front of the police cruiser still holding the knife and the officer yelled at him again to drop it.

Finally, Taylor threw the knife into the parking lot of a nearby apartment building. When the office advised Taylor to get on the ground, Taylor replied “[expletive deleted] you.  I didn’t do anything.” The officer again ordered Taylor to go to the ground and that he was under arrest, but Taylor refused to comply. Ultimately, the officer holstered his weapon and grabbed Taylor, forcing him to the ground by his shoulders at which point he was handcuffed.

Meanwhile, Taylor’s nephew continued to walk away, but he too was ordered to stop and sit on the ground. When the nephew was asked what had happened prior to the officer’s arrival, the nephew told police he had come to Ocean City for the St. Patrick’s weekend celebrations and was staying with Taylor, who he said was his uncle. The nephew said he was in his room listening to music when Taylor burst in screaming about “anything and everything.”

The nephew said he left the apartment by the ground floor exit and Taylor followed him. He said that was all he remembered until hearing the officer’s siren and the warning to Taylor to drop the knife. Taylor was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and carrying a dangerous weapon with intent to injure. He was released on Monday after posting a $50,000 bond.