The Ship Shape Apartments were located on the bayside of Coastal Highway at 61st Street. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Truitt, they were seasonal — Memorial Day to Labor Day — as were most vacation rentals in the 1950’s and early 60’s. Designed to resemble a boat, the Ship Shape Apartments were considered far “up the beach” in the years before Ocean City annexed all the land north to the Delaware line.
Prior to 1965, the town limits ended at 41st Street and there was little north of there except a few small cottages, motels and campgrounds. The Ship Shape Apartments — along with the Brown House Cottages, Gordy Hall Apartments, and Richardson Manor — were one of the few family rental spots between the city limits and
Bobby Baker’s Carousel in the years before the annexation of Northern Ocean City.
Photo from Bunk Mann’s collection