Assault Charge After Knife Threat

OCEAN CITY — A Virginia man faces first-degree assault and other serious charges this week after allegedly threatening his girlfriend with a knife before slashing various items including a television screen and a mattress in a resort hotel room.

Shortly after midnight last Thursday, an OCPD officer responded to the Buckingham Hotel at 14th Street for a reported malicious destruction of property incident. The officer met with a hotel manager, who told police an individual later identified as Patrick Dale Card, 24, of Poquoson, Va., told him he had returned to his room and observed it had been damaged.

The hotel manager told Card to remain on the scene until police arrived, but Card refused to stay and walked off. The hotel manager told police he followed Card until he lost sight of him in the area of 13th Street and Wilmington Lane. The manager also told police he believed Card was the individual responsible for the damage to the room based on the suspect’s actions while speaking with him. A background check revealed Card was wanted in Virginia on active warrants for larceny.

Meanwhile, Card’s girlfriend contacted the OCPD and advised she wanted to file a report for his alleged assault on her in the hotel room. She told police the couple checked in at 7 p.m., at which time she told Card she was going to leave to return the car to her friend in Delaware.

According to the victim’s testimony, when Card learned the girlfriend was planning on leaving, he became angry and began to yell at her. The victim told police Card then pulled out a knife and pointed it at her, allegedly saying “I know what you’re up to, you’re going to turn me in.” According to the police report, Card then told the victim “I’m going to cut you.”

The victim told police Card made those statements while pointing the knife at her, and although he never cut her, she did fear for her life. The victim told police Card then began slashing various items in the hotel room. A review of the damage revealed two cuts in the shape of an X on the television screen, cuts in a lampshade, cuts on the mattress and comforter and the door broken off on the microwave.

The victim told police she was eventually able to calm Card down when she promised not to leave him. Card then left the room, which is about the time he reported the damage to the hotel manager. The victim did eventually return the car to Delaware and didn’t see Card again. Card was ultimately located around 10:15 a.m. the next day and was taken into custody.

Card was charged with first- and second-degree assault, malicious destruction of property and reckless endangerment. He is also being held without bond on the fugitive warrant out of Virginia.