Ocean City Shooting Investigated; Victim Not Cooperating With Police

OCEAN CITY — The Ocean City Police Department is currently investigating a shooting in the area of 8th Street early Wednesday morning, although no suspects have yet been identified and no arrests have been made.

Shortly after midnight on Wednesday, Ocean City Police responded to the area of 8th Street and Baltimore Ave. for a reported shooting that had just occurred nearby. When police arrived on the scene, witnesses were providing first-aid to the victim, an unidentified 21-year-old Glen Burnie man who suffered a single gunshot wound to his buttocks.

The victim was treated by Ocean City EMS and transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury where he was released a short time later. During the investigation, OCPD detectives determined the victim made contact with the suspects in the area of 8th Street and Washington Lane where a confrontation ensued. The suspects fired three gunshots, one of which struck the victim.

The victim made his way to a nearby bus stop where witnesses came to his aid and contacted Ocean City Communications. OCPD officers located three bullet casings at the scene, along with drugs and money.

The Ocean City Police Department Criminal Investigation Major Crimes Unit continues to investigate the incident, however, a lack of cooperation by the victim is causing a delay in the investigation. As of Wednesday afternoon, no suspects were in custody.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting is urged to contact OCPD Detective James Rodriguez at 410-520-5347 or [email protected]. Citizens who wish to remain anonymous may also contact the OCPD Crime Tip Hotline at 410-520-5136.

Shootings in Ocean City are uncommon, particularly considering the high volume of people who come to the resort in the summer. However, back in June of 2013, a 22-year-old Reading, Pa., man was charged after shooting and wounding two men during an altercation at 18th Street. The man was convicted in January 2014 and was sentenced to 20 years in jail for the incident.