Del. Firefighters Charged For Using Watermelons In Vandalism Spree

Del. Firefighters Charged For Using Watermelons In Vandalism Spree
1 melon

BISHOPVILLE — Five Delaware firefighters were arrested on Friday after local law enforcement identified them as the suspects in a vandalism spree in northern Worcester County when they allegedly threw watermelons at mailboxes and other property from the bed of a pick-up truck.

Around 1:15 a.m. last Friday, Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies were alerted by a resident in Bishopville that several people were riding around in a dark-colored pick-up truck and smashing mailboxes. Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies and Maryland State Police converged on the area and a MSP trooper located a dark-colored pick-up truck traveling on St. Martin’s Neck Rd. near Route 90.

The trooper stopped the truck and located four individuals in the vehicle’s truck bed along with the driver. Also located in the truck bed were 29 watermelons. While one deputy assisted the MSP trooper with the suspects, another deputy began traveling the roads around Bishopville to determine the extent of the spree. The investigation revealed a total of 14 mailboxes had been damaged or destroyed, along with one Waste Management trash can and a sign for a church parsonage.

The investigation revealed the suspects had been riding along Bishopville Rd. and St. Martin’s Neck Rd. throwing watermelons at mailboxes in an attempt to destroy them. During their initial interviews, all five suspects identified themselves as Sussex County firefighters. Each admitted being involved in the crimes committed and each was arrested.

The suspects were identified as Stewart William Pryor, 28, of Millsboro; Dylan Lee Sharp, 19, of Milton; Franklin Adam Martin, 23, of Milton; Sean James Magee, 23, of Selbyville; and Addison Hill-Bittner, 22, of Rehoboth. Each was charged with 16 counts of malicious destruction of property less than $500 and one count of malicious destruction of property scheme over $500.

Each of the suspects was transported to the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office by the Ocean City Police Department and was processed. Each was taken before a District Court Commissioner and all were released pending trial.