UPDATE: Suspect In Police Custody After Turning Self In Last Night

UPDATE: Suspect In Police Custody After Turning Self In Last Night

SNOW HILL — After a manhunt took place for much of yesterday, a suspect wanted for leaving his work release program in Delaware turned himself into Snow Hill authorities late last night.< ?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">

At 11 p.m. on Monday, April 22, Jessey Dean Dudley was arrested on the warrant for escape after voluntarily turning himself over to the Snow Hill Police Department. He is currently being held at the Worcester County Detention Center. Additional charges are expected, according to local authorities, including resisting arrest and the assault on the police officer who had previously attempted to arrest him.

At 8:30 yesterday morning, according to the Worcester County Bureau of Investigations, the Snow Hill Police Department was advised on a tip that Dudley was wanted in Delaware for Escape and Burglary charges. He was spotted in the area of Pleasant Manor in Snow Hill, and the Snow Hill Police Department attempted to apprehend the suspect as he fled on foot into a wooded area. He was described as a white male, wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, and blue jeans. Due to the general clothing description there were numerous false sightings.

The Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, Maryland State Police, Maryland State Police Aviation, Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Worcester County Criminal Enforcement Team, Worcester County Bureau of Investigations and the Pocomoke Police assisted with the search in an attempt to locate and apprehend the subject.

Due to the fact the Pleasant Manor Apartment complex is near Snow Hill High School, it was determined to place all of the schools in Snow Hill on “lockdown” as a precaution. Local law enforcement remained at the schools for safety. There was no risk of danger for anyone at the schools. The lockdown was lifted yesterday afternoon prior to school dismissal. At no time during the lockdown did normal school activities alter, school officials reported yesterday.

Law enforcement utilized several K-9 dogs to track the direction the suspect fled. The Maryland State Police had deployed a helicopter and assisted with the search. However, the suspect was not located.

It was later learned that the suspect had walked off at a “work release” minimum security facility in Delaware and had not returned. Authorities in Delaware obtained a warrant for his arrest for escape. He was serving an undisclosed amount of time for a burglary conviction.