Newark Man Gets 14 Years For Attack On Motel Employee

SNOW HILL — A Newark, Md. man, arrested last September on assault, attempted rape and other serious charges after attacking a female employee at a West Ocean City motel, pleaded guilty this week to attempted armed robbery, a third-degree sex offense and false imprisonment and was sentenced to a combined 21 years, all but 14 of which was then suspended.

Jeffrey Lee Hall, 22, of Newark, appeared in Circuit Court on Wednesday to face numerous charges related to his alleged attack on a female employee at the Francis Scott Key Motel in West Ocean City last September. Hall pleaded guilty to attempted armed robbery and was sentenced to 15 years in jail, seven of which was then suspended, He also pleaded guilty to a third-degree sex offense and false imprisonment and was sentenced to four and two years respectively, netting him a total of 14 years in prison.

Around 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 9, 2010, Maryland State Police troopers responded to a reported assault and attempted rape at the Francis Scott Key Resort in West Ocean City. The investigation revealed a suspect, later identified as Jeffrey Lee Hall II, then 21, whose last known address was in Newark, Md., had entered a room at the motel where a female employee was working, closed the door behind him and produced a jagged piece of metal fashioned into a weapon.

Hall allegedly threatened the victim with the makeshift weapon and demanded money. When the victim told Hall she had no money, he reportedly told her, “I need help, I’m homeless, and I need sex,” according to the statement of charges. After that, a struggle ensued and Hall allegedly forced the victim to the floor and physically and sexually assaulted her. The victim was able to wrest the weapon from Hall’s hand and threw it in a toilet.

The victim then freed herself from Hall and was able to attract the attention of other employees in the area. At that point, Hall fled the scene and ran toward a nearby parking lot. Hotel employees chased Hall and were able to detain him until police arrived.

Hall’s trial had been scheduled for Feb. 8, but was postponed after a Worcester County Circuit Court judge ordered a further evaluation of his mental competency to stand trial. Hall was transferred to the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center where he was evaluated on whether he presented a danger or himself or others, and if he is presently incompetent to stand trial. Hall’s trial was rescheduled for this week when the evaluation determined he was competent.