Salisbury Club Voluntarily Closes After Shooting

SALISBURY — A Salisbury nightclub voluntarily turned in its liquor license this week after a double-shooting incident early last Saturday involving a doorman employed at the establishment.

Around 2 a.m. last Saturday, Salisbury Police responded to Gully’s nightclub on Roland Street for what was first reported as fight in progress. Upon arrival, police learned two individuals, a 28-year-old Salisbury man and a 26-year-old Laurel, Del., woman had been shot. The victims were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Detectives interviewed both the victims and witnesses and developed a suspect in the shooting, Darian Harold Mackle, 25, of Salisbury, who was working security at the nightclub at the time of the shooting.

Around 7:45 p.m. on Monday, Fugitive Task Force investigators converged on Mackle on Main Street in Salisbury as he met with a family member and the suspect was taken into custody without further incident. Mackle has been charged with two counts each of attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and firearm-related charges.

On Wednesday, the owners of Gully’s voluntarily turned in their liquor license to the Wicomico County Board of License Commissioners and immediately closed the nightclub. In the wake of the shooting incident and subsequent closing of the establishment, city officials vowed to work with the private sector to put an end to the late night violence that has plagued certain areas of Salisbury.

“Business ownership in this city means more than being willing to comply with the law,” said Salisbury Police Chief Barbara Duncan this week. “It means taking responsible and proactive measures to correct the criminal actions occurring in conjunction with the operation of business. The Police Department’s goal here is to keep patrons and community members safe and to do our part to put a positive face on the city of Salisbury.”

Salisbury Mayor James Ireton, Jr., said Gully’s had a reputation for criminal activity prior to last weekend, but the incident wasn’t isolated in the city.

“Multiple acts of violence, in the areas of fights and assaults, have permeated this property for many years,” he said. “Chief Duncan has had several meetings with local bar owners about the atmosphere of our city and almost everyone has been cooperative. Unfortunately, Gully’s has not. The collective safety of our citizens must be the top priority, whether at 2 p.m. or 2 a.m.”