First-Degree Murder Trial Postponed Till March

SNOW HILL – The trial of a Pennsylvania man charged with first-degree murder after allegedly running over his elderly mother several times with his vehicle has been delayed to March.

Steven Frederick Molin, 58, of Darby, Pa., remains behind bars this week, awaiting trial on a first-degree murder in the death of his mother, Emily Belle Molin also of Darby. Pre-trial posturing and motions continued this week in advance of Molin’s trial, which was originally set to begin on Monday, the same day Worcester County State’s Attorney-elect Beau Oglesby is scheduled to be sworn in. However, the trial was moved back this week and is now laid in for two days beginning March 8.

Shortly before midnight on Aug. 31, the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office responded to a serious motor vehicle accident on Carey Rd. in Berlin just north of Ocean Pines. The victim, Emily Belle Molin, was transported to PRMC in Salisbury where she succumbed to injuries sustained from being run over by a motor vehicle.

From the beginning, Steven Molin did not deny running over his mother as many as three times, but has claimed the incident was an accident, caused in part by a faulty passenger side door on the 2008 Chevy work truck damaged in an different accident earlier in the day. However, a Worcester County Sheriff’s Office accident reconstructionist, after reviewing the physical evidence and interviewing Molin, determined the victim had been run over three times despite ample opportunity by the suspect to avoid hitting her again after the first collision.

According to police reports, there was substantial physical evidence in the roadway including the victim’s shoes and articles of clothing along with blood and hair evidence with tire impressions through the middle of them. The report also indicates the victim’s shoe impressions were discovered on the back bumper and near the undercarriage and ball hitch of the work truck, suggesting she tried to stick her foot up to avoid being run over. After reviewing the physical evidence at the scene, detectives determined the incident was not merely a motor vehicle accident, according to police reports.