County’s ‘Most Wanted’ Sentenced For Shooting Spree

SNOW HILL – A Stockton man, who for a time last year was considered Worcester’s “Most Wanted” after a shooting spree over several months in the south end of the county in 2006, was sentenced this week to 10 years in jail.

Riley Lee Collick, 29, of Stockton, was wanted on two counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of attempted second-degree murder and two counts each of first- and second-degree assault after being identified as the suspect in two separate shootings in Snow Hill and Pocomoke as well as a third incident on Virginia’s Eastern Shore over an eight-month period from January to September 2006. After being deemed Worcester County’s most wanted last year, Collick turned himself in to federal marshals in Baltimore on Dec. 5, 2006 ending a year-long manhunt across Maryland.

In the first incident in January 2006, Collick shot a teenager on a street corner in Snow Hill but fled the scene and was never apprehended. Collick remained in hiding for several months until the next incident on Sept. 19, 2006.

In that incident, Collick found himself in a fight in Accomack on Virginia’s Eastern Shore and shot another man. Collick himself was shot in the Accomack incident, but still escaped capture. The very next day, Collick struck again, this time shooting two more people in Pocomoke, including a 16-year-old teenager.

Local officials searched extensively for Collick for the next several weeks but were unable to ascertain his whereabouts. Several warrants were issued for Collick for charges related to the three shootings. The Stockton resident apparently fled the area and a cooperative effort by local law enforcement agencies along with the FBI had no luck in finding the suspect deemed Worcester’s most wanted.

Their luck changed on Dec. 5, 2006 when Collick walked into the U.S. Marshal’s Office in Baltimore and turned himself in. He was extradited to Worcester County where he was charged with attempted first-degree and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and the use of a handgun in the commission of a felony among others.

In May, Collick pleaded guilty to one count of reckless endangerment and sentencing was deferred until his trial on the other charges this week. On Monday, Collick pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was sentenced to 10 years in jail. As to the reckless endangerment conviction in May, Collick was sentenced to an additional five years in jail, which he will serve concurrent to the 10-year sentence in the second-degree assault conviction.