UPDATE: Eyewitness Shares Account Of Fatal Pedestrian Accident; Driver Faces Two Felony Charges

OCEAN CITY – A man who performed lifesaving efforts on a pedestrian killed along Coastal Highway described the scene of the fatal accident this week that has resulted in two felony charges against a motorist.

Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) officers and EMS personnel responded to the scene of a fatal pedestrian collision that occurred near the intersection of 45th Street and Coastal Highway at 2:24 a.m. Sunday.

According to police, the pedestrian, identified as James R. Ednie, 23, of Kelton, Pa., was crossing Coastal Highway from west to east when he was struck by an oncoming vehicle traveling northbound. Ednie did not use a crosswalk at the time of the collision.

The OCPD said nearby witnesses initiated lifesaving efforts before police and EMS arrived at the scene. Ednie was transported to Atlantic General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The driver, Stanley J. Faison, 50, of Waldorf, Md., was arrested and charged with two felonies — homicide by motor vehicle/vessel while impaired by alcohol and negligent auto/boat HMCD under influence — in addition to negligent driving, reckless driving, driving while impaired by alcohol and driving while under the influence of alcohol.

Tony, an eyewitness who requested his last name be omitted from this article, told The Dispatch that he was visiting Ocean City the weekend of the collision and was with friends at the corner of 45th Street oceanside when the accident occurred.

In the hours preceding the event, Tony witnessed several individuals failing to use crosswalks. Nearing the time of the collision, he said two females crossed Coastal Highway and that one stood in the bus lane waiting for a man standing in the median to cross the street. That man was identified as Ednie.

Tony said Ednie was intoxicated and was standing in the median strip, egging cars to do burnouts. When he crossed Coastal Highway, Tony said a classic car hit him and flung him 30 feet into the highway. Tony said he and others rushed to the pedestrian and performed CPR.

“Everybody started screaming,” he said.

Tony said the driver of the car, identified as Faison, was not speeding at the time of the accident and had the green light. He described the car as going the same speed as the bus that was traveling next to it.

“It was like a deer running out in front of a car,” he said. “You don’t hit the brakes until it’s already in front of you.”

Tony said Faison was visibly upset by the collision.

“He said, ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t know what it was,’” he relayed.

Following the collision, Tony said he, a New Jersey police officer and a woman performed CPR until police and paramedics arrived at the scene.

“His pulse came in and came back out,” he said.

Tony said police and EMT continued CPR efforts when they arrived at the scene.

“It was not a good way to end the weekend,” he said.

Tony explained that he’s been coming to Cruisin’ OC since 1995, but said it was not the first time he has witnessed a fatal accident at the annual event.

He said he also witnessed the horrific motorcycle accident at last year’s Cruisin’ OC weekend that killed Eric Del Marr, 24, of Germantown, Md.

Last May, Del Marr was driving a motorcycle at a high rate of speed when he collided with a Ford F-350 pick-up truck at 28th Street. He was deceased upon arrival of first responders. Tony was at the nearby Candy Kitchen at the time of that fatal accident.

Tony said the driver involved in this year’s collision appeared to obey traffic signs and signals and didn’t understand why traffic-related charges were brought against him.

“In my personal opinion, I don’t believe the driver was driving recklessly or speeding,” he said. “I was there when they arrested him. He was going the same speed as the bus.”

OCPD spokesperson Lindsay Richard said Tuesday, “A toxicology report will be provided upon completion of the autopsy of the victim but that typically takes at least 2-3 weeks. Also, as an update, Faison was transported to the Worcester County Jail without bond yesterday, May 21, at approximately 3 a.m.”

A July 3 trial date has been set for Faison.

About The Author: Bethany Hooper

Alternative Text

Bethany Hooper has been with The Dispatch since 2016. She currently covers various general stories. Hooper graduated from Stephen Decatur High School in 2012 and the University of Maryland in 2016, where she completed double majors in journalism and economics.