Berlin Woman Dies In Cleaning Chemical Accident

BERLIN- A Berlin woman died on Sunday afternoon after mixing two household cleaners that created a chlorine gas cloud while cleaning a bathroom in her residence.

Around 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence on Grays Corner Rd in Berlin to assist with an EMS call. Upon arrival, deputies learned a woman identified as Anna Harbeson had been inside the residence cleaning a bathroom, during which she became sick and had trouble breathing.

The investigation revealed the victim had possibly mixed two bathroom cleaners together and had fallen unconscious. Her husband began CPR and called 911. The victim was transported to Atlantic General Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The investigation revealed the victim had mixed bleach with “The Works” bathroom cleaner. During a search of the residence, investigators found both bleach and “The Works” in the bathroom. Both of the cleaning agents were found to have instructions on the back advising to never mix the two together. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner was contacted and the victim was transported for an autopsy. The Sheriff’s Office is advising local residents to always read product instructions, never mix products and always work in a well ventilated area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

HTML tags are not allowed.