OCEAN CITY – The resort will kick off the season early by painting the sky with every color under the sun at the Maryland International Kite Exposition (MIKE), set for this weekend.
The festival will be showcasing a spectacular cast of kite flyers from all over the country. The giant kite field on the beach will be coordinated by Susan Gomberg from Gomberg Kite Productions. Thousands of spectators will watch giant kites fly high above the Ocean City skyline.
In addition, stunt teams will perform amazing acrobatic maneuvers all in sync to the delight of the crowds. Two Quad teams will be performing this year, including iQuad, which consists of four precision kite flyers, all flying four line kites in perfect formation. The team travels to event across the country, demonstrating sport kiting and promoting the family pastime. The second Quad demo team is the Rev Riders from New England.
Returning for this year’s show is the Mid-Atlantic Sport Kite Championships, which will offer the full slate of Eastern League sanctioned disciplines, including the new novice multi-line precision and ballet events. If there is sufficient interest, organizers will offer Open Multiline Pair events.
The Kite Loft Owner Jay Knerr said this year’s festival has a little something for everyone.
“Spectators will experience the thrill of watching sport kite demonstrations and get the opportunity to meet the greatest kite flyers in the world,” said Knerr. “Visitors will understand why Ocean City is the Kite Capital of the World. Ocean City is one of the best places in the world to showcase kites. It’s home to the world’s largest kite retailer [The Kite Loft] and now to America’s most exciting kite festival. Hundreds of kite fliers from east coast clubs and sport kite competitors from around the country will fill the sky with an explosion of color, a photographer’s dream come true.”
According to Knerr, entertainment throughout the weekend festival will include:
– Free sport kite lessons and a “How To Fly A Kite” field offered in front of The Kite Loft between 5th and 6th streets on Saturday and Sunday;
– Free children’s candy drops planned through each day;
– Guest kite fliers with giant kite exhibitions at 3rd Street;
– Team iQuad will demonstrate four-line kite flying all day Friday-Sunday;
– Rev Riders will perform Quad line demonstrations Friday-Sunday;
– Rev Games with quad kites;
– Kite club will showcase their air and ground displays from 1st to 5th streets. Featured kites this year are Wings Over Washington, the Maryland Kite Society, the Lehigh Valley Kite Society, the South Jersey Kite Fliers, Keystone Fliers and the Richmond Air Force; and
– Sky Dog Bond will perform at The Kite Loft on Saturday;