Phillips Crab House began as a small seafood carryout on the corner of Philadelphia Avenue and 21st Street in 1956 and quickly expanded to become one of Ocean City’s most popular restaurants.
There was no more prestigious summer job for a girl in the 1960s and early 1970s than to be a waitress at Phillips. The prospective servers were handpicked — often by Shirley Phillips herself — and had to be smart and personable as well as having “girl-next-door” good looks. There were no waiters in those years but many young men worked in the kitchen and as busboys — in part to be around so many pretty girls.
The tips earned at Phillips helped pay many college tuitions and today the tradition continues. Phillips Crab House has been a destination for summer visitors for nearly 60 years.
Photo from 1972 courtesy of Jimmy Capati