Swiped Vehicle In Snowy Ditch

WHALLEYVILLE — A Whaleyville man was arrested on drunk-driving and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle charges on Tuesday night after losing control and sliding into a ditch during a snowstorm.

Around 10 p.m. on Tuesday, a Maryland State Police trooper patrolling the roadways in Worcester during a snowstorm for possible stranded motorists observed a vehicle in a ditch along Route 610 at Donoway Rd. The driver, identified as Jeffrey Bradley of Whaleyville, lost control of the vehicle due to the snow and became disabled in a ditch. While speaking to Bradley, the trooper detected an odor of alcohol and also discovered his driving privileges were suspended.

The owner of the vehicle, also Bradley’s employer, was advised and arrived on the scene and told police Bradley took the vehicle from the place of business without permission or authorization. Bradley was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Sex Offender Sentenced

SNOW HILL — A Willards man, arrested last fall on multiple sex offenses and child abuse decades after the offenses against his nephew in the early 1980s, pleaded guilty last week in Worcester County Circuit Court to a third-degree sex offense and child abuse by a custodian and was sentenced to 10 years in jail, all but three of which were then suspended.

Last October, the Worcester County Bureau of Investigation (WCBI) and the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office arrested David Wayne Tatman, 56, and charged him with two counts of third-degree sex offense, two counts of child abuse by a custodian, one count of second-degree child abuse and one count of unnatural or perverted practice. The arrest came after a months-long investigation that began when one of Tatman’s alleged former victims filed a report with the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office.

The investigation revealed a pattern of sexual abuse by Tatman against his nephew dating back to a period from October 1982 to May 1983. The allegations only came to light after the victim called Tatman last September and confronted him about the incidents. Through further investigation, evidence was obtained that allegedly corroborated the victim’s story and indicated Tatman had indeed committed the alleged offenses. The case was then presented to the Worcester County grand jury, which resulted in an arrest warrant for Tatman.

Last week, Tatman pleaded guilty to a third-degree sex offense and child abuse by a custodian and was sentenced to 10 years in jail, all but three years of which were then suspended. He was also placed on supervised probation for five years. Tatman will not be required to register as a sex offender as the incidents occurred prior to the establishment of the state’s sex offender registry.

Disruption At Airport

SALISBURY — A Brooklyn, N.Y. man was arrested on multiple charges last weekend after he attempted to board a plane on the tarmac at the Salisbury-Ocean City-Wicomico Regional Airport.

Around 10:30 p.m. last Sunday, Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a reported disturbance at the Salisbury airport. The investigation revealed a suspect, later identified as Darnell Calvin Richards, 30, of Brooklyn, was attempting to locate transportation back to New York but did not have any money with him.

Richards left the airport upon request and was told not to return. A short time later, Richards returned to the airport and made his way through the passenger gate and onto the tarmac where he attempted to approach a commercial flight that was in the process of unloading passengers. Richards was placed under arrest, but became uncooperative with deputies and at one point during the process became physically combative.

He was ultimately arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, trespassing and resisting arrest. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was ordered to be held on a $5,000 bond.

Probation, Fine For Stun Gun

SNOW HILL — A Wilmington woman, arrested in September on drugs and weapons charges after a male individual she was traveling with was arrested on suspicion of dealing narcotics, pleaded guilty last week to possession of an electronic stun gun and was placed on probation and fined.

Around 2 a.m. on Sept. 1, an OCPD officer on uniformed bicycle patrol in the area of Philadelphia Ave. and 8th Street observed a male suspect later identified as Darnell Defate Harris, 25, of Wilmington, acting suspiciously and talking simultaneously on two cell phones. When Harris saw the officer observing him, he quickly walked into traffic crossing Philadelphia Ave. from east to west, causing two vehicles to brake to avoid hitting him.

The OCPD officer approached Harris and issued a traffic citation for illegally crossing Philadelphia Ave. before telling the suspect he was free to leave. However, Harris did not leave and became increasingly nervous while continuing to talk on the two cell phones at the same time, according to police reports.

His actions were consistent with illegal activity and the officers requested to search Harris, to which he consented. During the search, OCPD officers located 24 small plastic bags containing heroin in addition to $135 in currency. Harris was then placed under arrest.

While officers were arresting Harris, a female later identified as Clovise Frances Evans, 29, also of Wilmington, approached the officers and asked about her cell phone that Harris had been using. Shortly thereafter, Evans opened the door to her vehicle nearby and the officers clearly saw a stun gun. After Evans consented to a search of her vehicle, the officers located a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Harris was charged with possession and possession with intent to distribute marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. Evans was charged with possession of a weapon within Ocean City corporate limits. Last week, Evans pleaded guilty to possession of an electronic stun gun and was fined $300 and placed on probation for one year.

Drug Dealers Fined

OCEAN CITY — Two Virginia residents, arrested in September on multiple drug charges after a traffic stop in Ocean City, each pleaded guilty this week to possession and each received a hefty fine and probation.

Around 2 a.m. on Sept. 9, Ocean City Police stopped a vehicle in the area of Coastal Highway and 85th Street after observing it swerving in and out of traffic on the northbound lanes. As the officer approached, an odor of marijuana was detected emanating from inside the vehicle.

During a search, OCPD officers located six packages of heroin along with items typically used for packaging and distributing drugs. OCPD officers also located 10 prescription pills. The driver, identified as Hannah Knoll Norris, 24, of Fairfax, Va., and the passenger, identified as Scott Edward Kahler, 25, of Falls Church, Va., were arrested and charged with possession and possession with intent to distribute marijuana, removing the label of a prescription drug, transporting heroin into Maryland and six counts of possession of paraphernalia.

Each appeared in court last week and each received identical sentences. Norris and Kahler were each fined $1,000 and $500 of each fine was then suspended. The two defendants were also placed on probation for two years.