Locals Arrested After Manhunt In North Carolina

OCEAN CITY — Two local men were taken into custody last week after being stopped in an alleged stolen car in North Carolina and trying to elude police.
David Martin Yakacki, 21, of Berlin and Joshua Aaron Mitchell, also 21, of Ocean City, were pulled over on Interstate 85 near the town of Butner in Granville County last Thursday for a routine traffic stop. During the course of the stop, police discovered the Mercedes SUV driven by Yakacki had been reported as stolen in Maryland.
Yakacki and Mitchell reportedly fled the scene in the stolen vehicle, but were caught again on Route 75 not far from Holt Lake, according to the Daily Dispatch in N.C. Yakacki was caught almost immediately, but Mitchell fled on foot toward the lake. Granville County Sheriff’s deputies, assisted by a North Carolina State Police helicopter, searched for hours for Mitchell, who reportedly ran all over the area surrounding Holt Lake. Mitchell was eventually caught without further incident.
Yakacki was charged with possession of stolen goods, possession of marijuana, possession of items for possible drug use and resisting arrest. Yakacki also faces numerous traffic charges. Mitchell was also charged with the same offenses.
Both Yakacki and Mitchell are no strangers to the local judicial system in Worcester County. In September 2012, Yakacki was found guilty of first-degree burglary, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle and possession of marijuana for an incident in January 2012. On the first-degree burglary count, Yakacki was sentenced to five years with all but two suspended. On the unlawful taking conviction, he was sentenced to four years with all but one year suspended, and on the marijuana possession count he was sentenced to 69 days and was given credit for the 69 days he spent in jail awaiting trial.
Yakacki was sentenced to serve two years, but with the credit for time served, the result was a sentence of about 18 months. Those cases were reopened this week after the arrest violated his parole and probation.
Mitchell is also no stranger to the court system in Worcester. In July, he pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute marijuana stemming from an incident in October 2012 and was sentenced to 18 months with all but six months suspended. He was then given credit for the roughly four months he spent awaiting trial, netting him a sentence of about two months.