Four-Year Sentence For Resort Stabbing

SNOW HILL — A Snow Hill man, arrested last April on assault charges after stabbing another man twice in the abdomen during an altercation outside a downtown Ocean City convenience store, was found guilty of second-degree assault last week in Worcester County Circuit Court and was sentenced to 10 years in jail, all but four of which were then suspended.
Last April 11, Ocean City Police responded to a reported fight at the 7-Eleven convenience store on Coastal Highway at 26th Street. When officers arrived, the fight had already broken up and those involved had left the area. One of the combatants was stabbed twice in the abdomen during the altercation, but did not realize the severity of his injuries until he returned to his north Ocean City residence.
About a half an hour later, OCPD officers received a complaint about a stabbing and met with a victim at a residence on 146th Street. While talking with the victim, OCPD officers learned he had been involved in the altercation at 7-11 earlier during which he had been stabbed twice. The victim also received a head wound during the fight and was treated at the scene by Ocean City EMS before being transported to PRMC. The victim ultimately recovered from the stabbings and other injuries, but not before spending a week in the hospital and undergoing surgery.
During the investigation, OCPD detectives identified the suspect as Brandon Maurice Hudson, 24, of Snow Hill. Investigators obtained information about Hudson’s possible whereabouts and he was located the following day in Berlin. Hudson was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure.
In Worcester County Circuit Court last week, Hudson entered an Alford plea to second-degree assault. In an Alford plea, a defendant does not plead guilty, but acknowledges the state has enough evidence to prosecute the case. Hudson was sentenced to 10 years, the maximum available for second-degree assault, however, all but four years of the sentence were then suspended. He was also placed on supervised probation for three years following his release.