Critical Plays Derail Seahawks On Homecoming

Critical Plays Derail Seahawks On Homecoming
meekins homecoming

BERLIN- A couple of critical plays derailed the Decatur varsity football team’s hope of a homecoming victory last Friday as the Seahawks fell to visiting Easton, 28-14.
The Warriors beat the Seahawks for the first time in 12 year last Friday on homecoming at Decatur after rallying from an early deficit. The Seahawks led 14-0 in the second quarter and appeared poised to keep their foot on the gas pedal before a handful of big plays turned around the momentum.
Decatur was dominating early, holding Easton to negative total yards in the first quarter. Meanwhile, the Decatur offense appeared to be clicking early on. After Easton went three-and-out on its first possession, Decatur drove 55 yards on seven plays, capped off with a one-yard touchdown run by P.J. Copes to take a 7-0 lead.
Early in the second quarter, it was Copes again dashing 73 yards to stake the Seahawks to a 14-0 lead. Copes had dislocated his shoulder at practice last Wednesday, but was cleared to play on game day. He ended up with 198 rushing yards on 18 carries during the homecoming game with Easton.
With a 14-0 lead, a handful of big plays derailed the Seahawks’ hope for a homecoming win. Decatur was driving with a chance to expand the lead to 21-0, but fumbled the ball on the Easton 37-yard line and the Warriors took over. Easton then went on an 11-play drive culminating with a 10-yard touchdown pass to cut the lead to 14-7.
Soon thereafter, Decatur attempted to punt the ball to Easton, but the kick inadvertently hit a Seahawk blocker and caromed back into the Decatur end of the field. The Warriors recovered on the 15-yard line, setting up a second touchdown to tie the game at 14-14.
Late in the third quarter, Easton fumbled, but Decatur fumbled right back to the Warriors. Easton then scored on a 40-yard touchdown run to take its first lead of the game at 21-14. Easton then tried an onside kick and appeared to recover it, but the officials ruled it did not go the requisite 10 yards and the ball turned over to the Seahawks.
However, the refs then realized they had botched the spot of the ball and provided Easton with another onside kick opportunity. This time, the Warriors successfully recovered the kick and then scored on a five-yard touchdown run to extend the lead to 28-14. Easton had scored 14 points in under a minute to secure their first win over Decatur in 12 years and spoil homecoming for the Seahawks.