10 Days For Two DWIs

SNOW HILL — A Berlin man arrested twice on drinking and driving charges twice within a span of a little over two hours in December pleaded guilty last week and was sentenced to 10 days in jail.

Around 9 p.m. on Dec. 12, 2012, Berlin Police arrested Richard Hudome, 49, of Berlin for driving under the influence at William Street and Route 346. Hudome was charged with DUI and was processed and released. At around 11:18 p.m., Berlin Police officers observed Hudome enter his vehicle still parked at the site of the original arrest and drive to his home on William Street. Hudome was stopped again and arrested a second time on DUI charges.

Last week, Hudome pleaded guilty to driving within 12 hours of a DUI arrest and driving while impaired and was sentenced to 10 days in jail. He was also fined $300.

Not Guilty In Alleged Knife Threat

OCEAN CITY — An Ocean City man arrested on a first-degree assault charge in August after allegedly threatening his girlfriend with a knife during an argument over phone calls and text messages from the father of one of her children was found not guilty this week in District Court.

Shortly before 9 a.m. on Nov. 13, 2012, Ocean City Police responded to a residence on 13th Street for a reported domestic assault that had just occurred. The female victim told officers her boyfriend had threatened her with a knife and only left the residence when she started to call police. The victim provided a description of her alleged assailant, later identified as Allen Scorsher Williams, 35, of Ocean City.

When police arrived on the scene, they observed a suspect matching Williams’ description walking south on Baltimore Ave. in the area of 12th Street and detained him. When questioned by police, the victim said she and Williams had been in an argument about phone messages and text messages, including pictures, she had received by the father of one of her children.

The victim told police Williams was angry about the messages and calls she had received and the argument escalated when he pushed her. The victim told police Williams then grabbed a knife from the kitchen counter and threatened her with it, allegedly saying “why are you doing this to me?” while holding the knife toward her in a threatening manner.

When the victim began calling police, Williams allegedly left the residence with the knife still in his hand, although he was not found in possession of the weapon when he was detained by police a short distance away. When asked if Williams threatened her with the knife, described as a black-handled steak knife, the victim told police “he held the knife in the air as if he was going to stab me with it, but really I think it was just to scare me” and later conceded “I don’t think he would have used it.”

When interviewed by detectives, Williams told police a slightly different version of the events. Williams acknowledged the couple had an argument and that he was angry over the calls and text messages along with pictures of the victim and her child’s father together, and that she had started receiving the messages the night before.

Williams told police he hadn’t pulled a knife on the victim and that there weren’t even any knives in the residence apart from plastic silverware. Williams also denied shoving the victim, telling police “I didn’t put my hands on her.”

Nonetheless, Williams was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault. However, he was found not guilty this week in District Court.

Cocaine Distribution Arrest

SNOW HILL — A Pocomoke man was arrested on numerous drug charges last week after fleeing from police during a traffic stop.

Last Wednesday, members of the Worcester County Criminal Enforcement Team, along with the Snow Hill and Pocomoke Police Departments, concluded a joint cocaine distribution investigation of Laron J. Collick, 32, of Pocomoke. Snow Hill Police officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop on Collick, but the suspect exited his vehicle and fled on foot.

Collick was apprehended a short time later in a wooded area near the intersection of Snow Hill Rd. and Route 113. A search revealed a small quantity of marijuana and roughly 11 grams of powder cocaine packaged in 27 individual clear plastic bags in the area where Collick fled. Once Collick was taken into custody, a search and seizure warrant was executed at his home in Pocomoke, but no additional contraband was located.

Collick has been charged with possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine and cocaine, possession of cocaine and crack cocaine, and possession of marijuana. He is being held in the Worcester County Jail on a $50,000 bond.

Salvation Army Burglary

SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was arrested on burglary and other charges last weekend after getting discovered attempting to break into a safe at the Salvation Army.

Around 11 a.m. last Sunday, Salisbury Police responded to the Salvation Army on Oak Street for a reported burglary. The investigation revealed an employee arrived at the facility to unlock the business for a church service and observed an unidentified suspect attempting to pry open a safe with a crow bar.

The employee approached the suspect but the unidentified man exited the building and fled on foot. A K-9 track was conducted by the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office. During the investigation, officers determined the suspect was the same individual that had entered the Salvation Army the day before and asked if anyone had found his cell phone and wallet.

The suspect made numerous requests for the employee to check the safe for his property. The suspect, later identified as Willie Lee Hope, Jr., 20, of Salisbury, left his first name and phone number and the employee informed him he would be contacted if his property was found. During a subsequent interview, Hope admitted he had committed the crime and was taken into custody. He has been charged with second- and fourth-degree burglary and malicious destruction of property.

Cop Assaulter Pleads Guilty

SNOW HILL — A Berlin man arrested last July on various charges after assaulting two individuals and also a police officer pleaded guilty this week to second-degree assault on a police officer and was sentenced to 18 months, all of which was suspended but the time he spent in jail following his arrest.

Shortly before 5 p.m. last July 26, Berlin Police responded to a residence on Maple Ave. for a reported assault. When officers arrived, the suspect, later identified as Kenneth Foreman, 23, of Berlin, fled on foot. With the assistance of Worcester County Sheriff’s Deputies, Foreman was located after a foot chase and was placed under arrest.

After being transported to the police station in Berlin, Foreman assaulted a Berlin Police officer. The officer was transported to AGH for treatment of minor injuries and was released. Foreman is also accused of assaulting a male and female victim at the residence on Maple Ave.

Foreman was taken before District Court Commissioner and was ordered held on a $10,000 bond. After leaving the District Court Commissioner’s Office, Foreman allegedly attempted to escape from custody but was quickly apprehended. It was later determined Foreman had been using an alias during the booking process.

This week, Foreman pleaded guilty to second-degree assault on a police officer and was sentenced to 18 months. One year of the sentence was then suspended and Foreman was given credit for the time already served, which accounted for the balance of the sentence. He was also fined $200.