Fiance Attacked With Beer Can, Then Bean Can

Fiance Attacked With Beer Can, Then Bean Can

OCEAN CITY — An Ocean City woman was arrested on assault charges twice within a span of a few hours on Tuesday and early Wednesday morning after allegedly attacking her fiancé first with a can of beer and later a can of beans.

On Tuesday, Kathleen Theresa Machen, 47, of Ocean City, was arrested on second-degree assault charges after allegedly attacking her fiancé by hitting him in the head with a can of beer. Ocean City Police responded to the residence on Philadelphia Ave. near 12th Street and attempted to place Machen under arrest on a second-degree assault charge.

After the arrest for second-degree assault, Machen was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was released on her own recognizance with the specific stipulation she was not to return to the residence nor have any contact with the victim. She reportedly did not heed that warning and returned to the residence to allegedly assault the victim again.

Around 12:30 a.m. on Wednesday, police responded to the same residence on Philadelphia Ave. for a reported assault. Officers arrived and met with the victim, who was bleeding from the head.

The victim told police he had been sleeping in his room alone when Machen came in and attacked him with a metal can of beans, striking him repeatedly in the head and causing several bleeding head wounds. The victim told police he was able to get Machen off him and get out of the room before fleeing to a friend’s room, where he called the police.

Remax The Right Agent Every Step of the Way

Police located Machen a short time later and attempted to place her under arrest for the second time in a matter of hours. During the arrest attempt, Machen allegedly resisted police, but was eventually subdued and taken into custody. As a result of the second alleged attack, Machen was charged with first- and second-degree assault, malicious destruction of property and resisting arrest. She was taken before a District Court Commissioner again on Wednesday and was being held on a $250,000 bond pending a bond review scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. The victim as treated at the scene by Ocean City EMS.