Collision With Median Results In DUI Arrest

Collision With Median Results In DUI Arrest

BERLIN — A Pennsylvania man was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and negligent driving after crashing his vehicle into a concrete median on Samuel Bowen Blvd. just off Route 50 early Monday morning.

Around 2:40 a.m. on Monday, Maryland State Police troopers responded to a single-vehicle accident on Samuel Bowen Blvd. The investigation revealed a 1992 Honda Civic operated by Devin A. Paquette, 24, of Manheim, Pa., failed to stop for a stop sign, continued through the intersection and was unable to control the vehicle, which struck a concrete median and became disabled.

When MSP troopers arrived, they suspected Paquette was driving under the influence of alcohol after he failed several field sobriety tests. Paquette was subsequently arrested for DUI, negligent driving and related charges. During the investigation, it was determined Paquette was employed by the town of Ocean City Beach Patrol.

Loaded Handgun Arrest

BERLIN — A North Carolina man was arrested on handgun charges last week after a routine traffic stop in Berlin.

Shortly before 10 p.m. last Thursday, a Berlin Police officer on routine patrol stopped a vehicle on Route 50 at Old Ocean City Blvd. During a search of the vehicle, officers located a loaded Ruger .38 semi-automatic handgun hidden under the front seat. The investigation revealed the vehicle’s operator, Eric G. Clayton, 24, of Creedmoor, N.C., did not possess a concealed carry handgun permit. Clayton was arrested and charged with handgun violations. He was later released on his own recognizance.

DUI Arrest After Accident

BERLIN — A Pittsville teen was arrested on drunk-driving and other charges this week after the vehicle he was driving left the roadway and struck a tree on Route 50 near Berlin.

Around 1:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Maryland State Police troopers responded to a reported single vehicle accident on westbound Route 50 near Logtown Rd. The investigation revealed the driver, later identified as Zachary Lynn Kinhart, 19, of Pittsville, was traveling west on Route 50 in a 1997 Dodge pickup when he failed to maintain control of the vehicle and traveled into the median, striking a tree.

Kinhart was not injured in the crash, but was suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol after failing several field sobriety tests. Kinhart was subsequently arrested and charged with DUI and negligent driving. A 17-year-old passenger in the vehicle fled the scene prior to the arrival of the MSP troopers, but was located a short time later at his residence. The passenger was also not injured and refused medical treatment.

Chicken Farm Damaged

SALISBURY — A Delmar man faces burglary and other charges this week after allegedly trespassing on a chicken farm in an intoxicated state and turning off the power to three chicken houses, resulting in the death of around 70,000 chickens.

Around 9 a.m. last Saturday, Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a reported incident at a poultry farm on East Line Rd. in Delmar. The property owner told police during the nighttime hours, the electric power had been turned off to his three chicken houses, which deprived the flock of food, water and cooling fans.

As a result, nearly the entire flock numbering around 70,000 chickens had perished. The property owner told police he had entered a control shed that contained access to the power for the chicken houses and discovered an unknown male suspect passed out on the floor clan only in a T-shirt and boxer shorts. The suspect was also lying in a pool of his own urine and a strong odor of alcohol was emanating from his person.

The deputy was able to wake the suspect, later identified as Joshua D. Shelton, 21, of Delmar. According to police reports, Shelton told the deputy the last thing he remembered was being on the property after a nearby concert the night before, but did not know how he ended up in the control shed. The deputy surmised Shelton, in his intoxicated state, turned off the circuit breakers that controlled the electric power to the chicken houses.

It is believed the chickens in the three houses numbered close to 70,000 and their value was estimated at around $20,000. The chickens were due to be delivered to a local processing plant the following day. Shelton was arrested and charged with second-degree burglary, trespassing and malicious destruction of property. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was ordered to be held on a $75,000 bond.

Attempted Murder Charges

SALISBURY — A Hebron man was arrested on attempted first-degree murder charges last week after allegedly putting a gun to a female suspect’s head and pulling the trigger but the weapon did not fire.

Last Sunday, a Wicomico County Sheriff’s Deputy began investigating a reported assault in Hebron. According to the female victim, she had been involved in a verbal altercation with a male suspect identified as Anthony Shane Vincent, 25, of Hebron, inside a camper-trailer they shared when the altercation became physical. The victim told police Vincent allegedly struck her in the head with a closed fist before brandishing a handgun.

According to the victim, Vincent placed the barrel of the gun against her head and threatened to kill her prior to pulling the trigger. However, the gun did not fire. The victim told police she truly believed Vincent intended to kill her.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the deputy obtained a warrant for Vincent’s arrest along with a search and seizure warrant for the property in order to locate the weapon used in the incident. The Wicomico County Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team assisted with the execution of the arrest warrant and the no-knock search warrant for the house and camper on the property last Friday.

Vincent was taken into custody and was taken before a District Court Commissioner for an initial appearance, after which he was ordered held without bail. He has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault and reckless endangerment.

Beating Suspects To Circuit

OCEAN CITY — Two Delaware men arrested on first-degree assault charges in July after allegedly beating another man on the Boardwalk had their cases forwarded to Circuit Court last week after probable cause hearings at the District Court level.

Around 12:15 a.m. on July 1, an Ocean City Police Department(OCPD) officer inside the police substation on Worcester Street and the Boardwalk was alerted by an employee a fight was in progress near the facility’s ground floor bathroom. As the officer ran down the steps of the substation, he observed two suspects, later identified as Javon Tazewell, 20, of Woodside, Del., and Jamare Tazewell, 19, of Dover, striking a white male on the sidewalk area in front of the police station.

According to police reports, roughly 50 people were standing around watching the assault. The two suspects ran down Worcester Street, then fled north on Baltimore Ave. The officer noted in his report the victim was bleeding profusely from the facial area and appeared dazed. The officer pursued the two suspects on foot and was able to detain one of them, Javon Tazewell, in the area of Wicomico Street and Baltimore Ave. Another officer was able to detain Jamare Tazewell in the same area.

Javon Tazewell had fresh blood all over the front right pants leg of his jeans and blood on his shoes. Jamare Tazewell also had blood on his shoes, according to police reports. One witness told police the two suspects were kicking and punching the victim while he was on his hands and knees in the restroom. Another witness told police he saw the two suspects punching and stomping the victim’s head and face on the sidewalk directly in front of the police station.

Yet another witness told police the two suspects were “curbing” the victim, a slang term used to describe using the bottom of one’s foot to stomp another person’s head and face into a sidewalk or curb, according to police reports.

Ocean City Emergency Services responded to the scene to treat the victim for his injuries. After paramedics arrived, the victim lost consciousness and had to be flown to PRMC via Maryland State Police helicopter. Jamare Tazewell and Javon Tazewell were each arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault and disturbing the peace. Last week, the two suspects had their cases forwarded to Worcester County Circuit Court.

Shooting Suspect Sought

SALISBURY — Local law enforcement agencies this week are looking for a suspect who shot and injured a man who was sitting in his Salisbury residence early Tuesday morning.

Around 2 a.m. on Tuesday, Maryland State Police troopers responded to residence on Westover Drive for a reported shooting. The investigation revealed the victim was sitting in his living room when he was struck in the leg by a bullet that came through his front door. The victim was treated at PRMC and released.

The Wicomico Bureau of Investigation (WBI) has taken over the investigation and no suspects have been identified. Anyone with information is urged to contact WBI at (410) 548-4898, or Crime Solvers at (410) 548-1776.

Car Battery Thief Nabbed

SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was arrested on theft charges last week after police were able to connect him to the thefts of three car batteries, which he later attempted to sell to a scrap recycle dealer.

Around 3 p.m. last Friday, a Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputy responded to a commercial property on West Rd. in Salisbury for a reported of theft of car batteries from three vehicles. An employee of the business who witnessed the thefts provided a description of the suspect and the vehicle used during the incident.

The deputy then went to a nearby scrap recycler and learned a suspect matching the description provided by the witness had just come in and exchanged three batteries for cash. A view of the surveillance video provided by the scrap dealer showed the seller matched the description provided by the witness. The deputy was then able to ascertain the identity of the suspect as Terry Anthony Wright, 52, of Salisbury.

Wright was located later in the day and was arrested on charges of theft under $1,000. He was being held on a $5,000 bond.