Boardwalk Assault Arrests

Boardwalk Assault Arrests

OCEAN CITY — Two Delaware men were arrested on first-degree assault charges this week after allegedly beating another man on the Boardwalk early Sunday morning.

Around 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, an Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) officer inside the police substation on Worcester Street and the Boardwalk was alerted by an employee a fight was in progress near the facility’s ground floor bathroom. As the officer ran down the steps of the substation, he observed two suspects, later identified as Javon Tazewell, 20, of Woodside, Del., and Jamare Tazewell, 19, of Dover, striking a white male on the sidewalk area in front of the police station.

According to police reports, roughly 50 people were standing around watching the assault. The two suspects ran down Worcester Street, then fled north on Baltimore Ave. The officer noted in his report the victim was bleeding profusely from the facial area and appeared dazed. The officer pursued the two suspects on foot and was able to detain one of them, Javon Tazewell, in the area of Wicomico Street and Baltimore Ave. Another officer was able to detain Jamare Tazewell in the same area.

Javon Tazewell had fresh blood all over the front right pants leg of his jeans and blood on his shoes. Jamare Tazewell also had blood on his shoes, according to police reports. One witness told police the two suspects were kicking and punching the victim while he was on his hands and knees in the restroom. Another witness told police he saw the two suspects punching and stomping the victim’s head and face on the sidewalk directly in front of the police station.

Yet another witness told police the two suspects were “curbing” the victim, a slang term used to describe using the bottom of one’s foot to stomp another person’s head and face into a sidewalk or curb, according to police reports.

Ocean City Emergency Services responded to the scene to treat the victim for his injuries. After paramedics arrived, the victim lost consciousness and had to be flown to PRMC via Maryland State Police helicopter. Jamare Tazewell and Javon Tazewell were each arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault and disturbing the peace.

Loud Music Leads To Weapon

OCEAN CITY — A Dover man was arrested on weapons charges this week after playing loud music from his vehicle in a parking lot.

Around 11 p.m. last Saturday, OCPD responded to the area of 13th Street and Baltimore Ave. for a report of people playing loud music from their vehicle in a hotel parking lot. Officers arrived and met with the vehicle’s owner, identified as Edward Allen Boyer, 18, of Dover. While speaking with Boyer, OCPD officer noticed a pen knife in the driver’s side door pocket. Officers also learned Boyer had an active warrant out for his arrest from Delaware.

Boyer was arrested on the Delaware warrant and a subsequent search of the vehicle turned up another pen knife under the passenger’s seat and a replica handgun under the driver’s seat. Boyer was arrested on the outstanding warrant from Delaware and was also charged with wearing, carrying and knowingly possessing a replica handgun.

Life Without Parole For Murder

SALISBURY — A Fruitland man was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for the first-degree murder of a Salisbury women whose remains were found buried on the suspect’s family’s property in April 2011.

William A. Hill, 25, of Fruitland, was found guilty after a two-day trial in April of first-degree murder in the death of Whitney Bennett. Back in court last Friday, Hill was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Bennett went missing in December 2010, touching off a massive search throughout the region.

Her remains were found buried in a plastic bag on property owned by Hill’s family on April 1, 2011. Hill, reportedly the last person to see Bennett alive, was later arrested and indicted on first-degree murder and other charges.

Jail Time For Tazed Suspect

SNOW HILL — A Dundalk man who attacked a Worcester County Sheriff’s deputy in March and had to be tased to be brought under control, pleaded guilty this week in Circuit Court to second-degree assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct and was sentenced to a year in jail.

Around 6:30 a.m. on March 18, a Worcester County Sheriff’s deputy responded to the Alamo Motel in West Ocean City in reference to several disorderly individuals fighting out front. Upon arrival, the deputy observed three individuals fighting in the parking lot, including one suspect later identified as Isreal Christopher Haggerty, 19, of Dundalk. While the deputy was talking with Haggerty, he was approached by a juvenile female who said she had been assaulted.

The juvenile female then became disorderly, according to police reports, and when an attempt was made to take her into custody, the juvenile allegedly assaulted the officer. While the juvenile female was being taken into custody, Haggerty allegedly began attacking the deputy and the deputy had to deploy his Taser to subdue the attacker.

However, that was not the end of the fracas. The juvenile female then began to fight with another individual along with two other suspects later identified as Brent Monroe, 19, of Baltimore, and Stephen Stark, 44, of Ocean City. The investigation revealed had broken into a room at the motel, which triggered the fight in the first place.

This week in Circuit Court, Haggerty pleaded guilty to second-degree assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct and was sentenced to one year in jail, with all but one month suspended. He was also placed on probation for two years and fined $500. Stark is scheduled to appear for trial next week and Monroe has a trial date set for August.

Burglars Escape Jail

SNOW HILL — Two of the four suspects arrested last fall in connection with a residential burglary in Ocean City dating back to June 2010 pleaded guilty last week in Circuit Court to theft from $1,000 to under $10,000 and each received suspended jail sentences.

On June 30, 2010, OCPD officers responded to a reported burglary at a residence on Island Edge Drive. The investigation revealed the suspects had gained entry to the residence through the garage and had stolen a 42-inch flat screen television, a DVD player and various pieces of jewelry totaling over $1,000. The estimated total value of the items stolen, including the television and the jewelry came to over $2,000. The scene was processed for evidence and no suspects were immediately identified.

In November 2011, an OCPD detective received a tip from an anonymous source that as many as five people were involved in the break-in including Wesley Francis, 21, of Thurmont, Md., Nicholas McClain, 19, of Middletown, Md., Todd Rewolinski, 19, of Frederick, Md. and Kyle Tharpe, 19, of Middle River, along with a female suspect. The investigation revealed the five suspects were staying at a place in Sunset Island in June 2010 and that they had been kicked out for an unknown reason.

Because the suspects didn’t have any money, they came up with the idea to break into an unoccupied neighboring residence, according to police reports. The investigation revealed the suspects broke into the residence and took the television and other goods and loaded the stolen property into a pick-up truck owned by Francis. In December 2011, OCPD detectives traveled to Thurmont to interview Francis and observed a white pick-up matching the description parked in the driveway.

Francis, who is deaf, told OCPD officers through an interpreter he was had been involved in the June 2010 burglary in Ocean City. Francis told police he entered the residence with Rewolinski, Tharpe and McClain and that he backed his truck up to the garage before entering the house. Francis told police the four men then loaded the television into his truck and that he later dropped Rewolinski off at another residence with the television. Francis was formally charged with first-degree burglary, theft and malicious destruction of property in January and now awaits a May trial date.

Also in December 2011, OCPD detectives interviewed McClain, also deaf, who admitted his part in the burglary. McClain said he and the other suspects got into the house through the garage and stole the television and other goods. McClain was also charged in January with first-degree burglary and other charges for his role in the break-in. In February, McClain pleaded guilty to fourth-degree burglary and in May he was sentenced to 18 months in jail with all but 15 months suspended.

Last week, Francis and Tharpe each pleaded guilty to theft from $1,000 to $10,000. Francis was sentenced to 90 days, all of which was suspended. Francis was placed on probation for 18 months and fined $500. Tharpe was sentenced to six months, all of which was suspended. He was also placed on probation for two years and fined $500. Each of the suspects was ordered to pay $2,575 in restitution to the victim. Rewolinski is scheduled to appear for trial in September.

Sibling Assault Case Forwarded

OCEAN CITY — A Washington, D.C. woman was arrested on first-degree assault and other serious charges in May after allegedly driving her car onto the sidewalk in the area of 39th Street and deliberately running over her brother with whom she had been fighting had her case forwarded to Circuit Court last week.

Around 6:30 p.m. on May 5, Ocean City Police responded to the area of 39th Street and Coastal Highway for a reported motor vehicle accident and assault. When officers arrived on the scene, they observed a 2011 Mazda parked across the sidewalk. The vehicle had struck an exterior wall, brick staircase, railing and mailbox of a real estate office on 39th Street.

The investigation revealed the driver, identified as Ladon Chimere Thomas, 28, had been in a verbal argument with her brother, which led to a physical altercation between the two siblings. After the altercation, Thomas got into her vehicle and turned north onto Coastal Highway. She then suddenly and deliberately swerved onto the sidewalk, striking her brother from the rear, according to police reports. The vehicle then collided with a real estate office, causing damage to the business.

During the course of the investigation, Thomas was highly agitated and continued to yell, scream and curse, according to police reports. She also allegedly assaulted a police officer while providing a description of the incident. The victim was transported by Ocean City Emergency Services to PRMC.

Thomas was also transported by Ocean City Emergency Services to Atlantic General and was later released. After her release, Thomas was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault for hitting her brother with the vehicle, along with second-degree assault on a police officer. Thomas’ case was originally set for District Court, but was forwarded to Circuit Court last week.

Berlin House Fire Investigated

BERLIN — The Worcester County Fire Marshal’s Office this week is investigating a fire at a residence on Burley Street early last Thursday morning.

Shortly after midnight last Thursday, the Berlin Fire Department responded to a reported fire at a residence on Burley Street. The fire was reported by a neighbor who was driving by the residence. The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters from Berlin, Showell and Ocean Pines Volunteer Fire Companies.

The dwelling was occupied at the time, but all of the residents escaped without injury. The preliminary investigation revealed the fire started on a rear deck of the residence. The cause of the fire is listed as undetermined and the investigation is ongoing.