Mallards Edge Sabres after Ref Collapses

Mallards Edge Sabres after Ref Collapses
alex bruder

BERLIN- Worcester Prep’s girls’ varsity lacrosse team beat old rival Saints Peter and Paul, 7-6, at home on Tuesday, but the outcome was secondary to an incident on the field during which a referee collapsed about mid-way through the second half.

With 13:29 remaining in the game and Worcester clinging to a 7-6 lead after a big comeback early in the second half, one of the two referees calling the game collapsed on the field. Spectators on the far sideline, including a nurse and a doctor and others, immediately rushed to the aid of the official, who was on her back on the field. The official ultimately sat up and was placed on a golf cart until an ambulance arrived. She reportedly had heart attack-like symptoms and was taken by ambulance to nearby AGH.

The players were cleared from the field, and after a brief meeting near midfield, the coaches and the remaining official called the game. It went into the books as an official game with Worcester Prep the winner although it outcome will not be reflected in the conference standings. Because the two teams play twice, the game at Saints Peter and Paul later this season will be counted as the official ESIAC game.

Worcester trailed 6-3 at the half, but mounted a furious comeback early in the second half before the incident on the field. Just under four minutes into the second half, Ali Greer scored on a settled situation to cut the lead to 6-4. About three minutes later, Mary Clare Regan scored on a penalty shot to cut the lead to 6-5. Greer then scored again after a nice dodge in front of the Sabres’ goal to even the score at 6-6. With 16:28 remaining, Lily DiNardo scored on a penalty shot to put Worcester ahead, 7-6.

The game was called a short time later after the referee collapsed because rules prohibit playing with just one official. Worcester Coach Page Rogers she was pleased with how her team responded after coming out flat in the first half, but the Mallards weren’t exactly celebrating.

“We’re looking at it like a wash,” she said. “We don’t really consider it a big win under these circumstances. Everyone was a little shaken and our only concern right now is for the official.”