Man Indicted For Manslaughter In Bar Owner’s Death

SNOW HILL — A Worcester County grand jury last week indicted a West Ocean City man on manslaughter and assault charges for his role in the death of a West Ocean City bar owner in October.< ?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">

Last Wednesday, the grand jury indicted Cyle Walker, 26, of West Ocean City, on manslaughter, second-degree assault and disorderly conduct charges in the death of 707 Sports Bar and Grille owner Carey Patrick Flynn. Walker admitted to being in a verbal altercation with Flynn outside the West Ocean City establishment around closing time last October 6 and that the altercation had turned physical.

Around 2:23 a.m. on Oct. 6, a Worcester County Sheriff’s deputy was dispatched to the 707 Sports Bar and Grille in reference to a disturbance complaint. The deputy arrived and met with a Maryland State Police trooper, who advised the bar’s owner, Carey Patrick Flynn, had been assaulted.

According to police reports, Flynn, who was on the ground with visible abrasions on his knees and elbows, was complaining of shortness of breath. Emergency Services were dispatched to the scene and Flynn was transported by ambulance to Atlantic General Hospital, where he died a short time later. It was later learned Flynn had a heart condition and had a pacemaker in place.

The investigation revealed a suspect, later identified as Walker, had been in a verbal confrontation with Flynn that had turned physical. While police were still on the scene, Walker returned and spoke with the deputy, advising the officer a verbal altercation had taken place between he and Flynn. According to police reports, Walker admitted pushing Flynn, causing him to fall to the ground.

Walker was charged initially with second-degree assault.

However, that second-degree assault charge against Walker was later dismissed about two weeks after the incident. Worcester County State’s Attorney Beau Oglesby, who was pictured on the scene of the investigation the day of Flynn’s death, said later dropping the second-degree assault charge was a formality and Walker remained a person of interest. The initial second-degree assault charge was dropped in order to leave the investigation open-ended until the medical examiner’s report came back. Oglesby said in October the initial second-degree assault charge was dropped in order to prevent it from moving forward to trial and avoid a potential double jeopardy situation.

Last week, nearly four months after the incident, the grand jury formally indicted Walker on manslaughter and other charges. He had a preliminary hearing last Friday and was released on a $50,000 bond.

Meanwhile, the 707 Sports Bar and Grille closed for good in December and the building remains vacant.

For the full story, see The Dispatch on Friday.