Shoplifter Grabs Cop’s Gun

Shoplifter Grabs Cop’s Gun
Social Issues Government55

OCEAN CITY — An Ocean City man was arrested on numerous charges this week after allegedly first shoplifting from a north-end grocery store and later attempting to disarm the OCPD officer trying to detain him.

Around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, an OCPD officer on foot patrol in the area of 118th Street observed a suspicious man, later identified as Ousmane Boubou Idrissa, 42, of Ocean City, exiting the Food Lion grocery store with what appeared to be a bulge under the waistband and front right pocket of his clothing. The officer further observed Idrissa was not carrying any grocery bags.

The officer approached Idrissa and asked what he was concealing under his clothing. According to police reports, Idrissa denied hiding anything under his clothes and attempted to flee the area. The officer pursued Idrissa and a struggle ensued, during which the suspect grabbed the officer’s holstered firearm at least twice. The officer was able to keep Idrissa from removing the weapon and was eventually able to subdue the suspect after a struggle until other officers arrived.

Idrissa was injured during the struggle and was treated at the scene by Ocean City paramedics. He was found in possession of items stolen from the Food Lion. Idrissa was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, attempting to disarm a law enforcement officer, which is a felony, resisting arrest and theft. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner and is being held on a $10,000 bond.

DNA Evidence Nabs Burglar

OCEAN CITY — A West Ocean City man was arrested on burglary and malicious destruction of property charges this week after DNA evidence was able to connect him to the break-in of an ATM machine at a miniature golf course back in May.

On May 3, OCPD investigated a burglary and attempted theft at the Garden of Eden miniature golf course on 18th Street. The business had closed the night before around 10 p.m. and sometime during the late night or early morning hours, an unknown suspect had broken into a shed on the premises and ransacked the interior of the shed. A cash register had been opened and there were coins on the floor. In addition, the front of an ATM machine had been torn off and the suspect had tried to gain access to it.

Pry marks were observed on the ATM, and while no money had been stolen, the ATM had been damaged beyond repair. The damaged ATM was valued at $2,000. An OCPD Crime Scene Technician processed the site for evidence and recovered blood evidence on the ATM door and on the interior and exterior. DNA samples were collected from the blood evidence and submitted to the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division for identification. The blood evidence collected from the ATM was then entered into a National DNA Index System for a possible match.

Last week, the OCPD crime scene technician received a report from the state police indicating the DNA matched the profile of a convicted offender identified as Alan Michael Stewart, 29, of West Ocean City. Stewart had been investigated for his possible involvement in the Garden of Eden incident back in May, along with other similar crimes that had been committed in the area between 15th and 18th Streets.

For example, Stewart was arrested early in the morning on May 3 when he was found in possession of a camera reported stolen from a vehicle on Marlin Drive a day earlier. At the time of that arrest, Stewart had a fresh laceration on his hand consistent with the damages reported to the shed and the ATM machine at the miniature golf course around the same time. Last week, forensics connected Stewart’s DNA evidence to the crime scene. He was arrested last week and charged with second-degree burglary, malicious destruction of property and theft.

Alleged Drunk Driver Hits Man On Porch

SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was arrested on a variety of charges including drunk driving and assault last weekend after his vehicle left the roadway, struck a resident sitting on a porch and continued across two yards before the suspect fled the scene and later fought with police.

Shortly before 9 p.m. last Sunday, Salisbury Police responded to a reported motor vehicle accident on Carrolton Ave. Upon arrival, Salisbury Police learned a vehicle driven by Fernando Pablo, 28, of Salisbury, had left the roadway at the intersection of Marian Street, had run over a sign and struck a victim sitting on his own front porch. The vehicle then crossed the lawns of two other residences and collided with a parked car before coming to a stop.

The 34-year-old victim was later transported to PRMC where he was listed in serious condition. Meanwhile, Pablo exited the vehicle following the accident and fled the scene on foot. Salisbury Police were able to locate Pablo one block away on John Street a short time later. Witnesses identified Pablo as the driver and police attempted to take him into custody.

During the arrest, Pablo became combative and assaulted the arresting officers. Once subdued, Pablo was also taken to PRMC for medical evaluation because of the accident. He was found to be driving under the influence of alcohol. He was also charged with second-degree assault.

Gunman Sought

SALISBURY — Salisbury Police this week are looking for the suspect who shot a Fruitland man on West Main Street late last Saturday night.

Shortly after midnight last Sunday, Salisbury Police responded to PRMC for a report of a victim with a gunshot wound. Police interviewed the 31-year-old Fruitland man, who told police he had been shot in the area of the VFW on West Main Street a short time earlier. The victim told police he was across the street from the VFW when he heard a gunshot. He soon realized he had been shot in the rear of his neck.

The victim told police he ran toward the VFW before falling in the street, where he was approached by the unidentified suspect. The victim told police the suspect then stood over him in the street for a brief time before the suspect fled the area on foot in the direction of Delaware Ave. The victim was transported to PRMC by a friend where he was treated and later released. The suspect is described as a black male, about 5’8” and 180 pounds. The suspect was wearing a black and gray mask at the time of the shooting. Anyone with information is urged to contact Salisbury Police at (410) 548-3165, or Crime Solvers at (410) 548-1776.

Standoff Suspect Pleads Guilty

SNOW HILL — A West Ocean City man arrested in March on assault, false imprisonment and other charges after a nearly two-hour standoff resulted in one of the largest mobilizations of local law enforcement and emergency services manpower and equipment in recent memory pleaded guilty last week in Circuit Court to second-degree assault and now awaits his fate pending the outcome of a pre-sentence investigation.

Around 5 p.m. on March 1, Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a reported domestic assault in progress on Blue Marlin Drive in West Ocean City. The initial investigation revealed the suspect, identified as Jasun V. Weistling, 37, of Ocean City, had been involved in a domestic altercation involving family members including his children and was highly intoxicated and possibly under the influence of prescription medication, according to police reports.

When deputies arrived, Weistling had fled from the home to the second floor of his detached two-car garage where he kept an office. According to sources, Weistling was self-employed as a day trader on the stock exchange from his home office. The perimeter was quickly secured and the victims of the assault were extracted from the home.

Over the next two-plus hours, Weistling remained in the garage office as the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, along with the Maryland State Police, Maryland Natural Resources Police (NRP) and the Ocean City Fire Marshal’s Office, continued to deploy massive amounts of manpower and equipment to the scene. SWAT teams in full regalia mobilized along with the Bomb Squad and its robot. Marked and unmarked police cars along with emergency services vehicles lined both sides of the otherwise peaceful street on both sides and in both directions as concerned neighbors looked on from a safe distance.

It was uncertain at the scene if Weistling was armed, or the extent of his arsenal, but the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the suspect was believed to be armed and potentially dangerous. Multiple attempts to establish communications with Weistling were made by law enforcement officials to no avail.

At one point, the suspect’s father implored his son to come out peacefully over a loudspeaker, but the standoff continued. At another point, the Bomb Squad robot was deployed and officers on the scene called for a boom camera, presumably to gain visual access to the interior of the garage.

Finally, around 7:21 p.m., Worcester County Sheriff’s Office deputies were able to take Weistling into custody without further incident. He was later charged with two counts of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, false imprisonment and alcohol intoxication endangerment.

Last Friday in Circuit Court, Weistling pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree assault and a pre-sentence investigation was ordered. The second-degree assault charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years. Sentencing has been scheduled for Dec. 2.

Theft Scheme Nets Four Years

SALISBURY — A Salisbury woman was sentenced last week in federal court to four years in jail after being convicted on mail fraud and aggravated identity theft for a scheme carried out against residents all over Delmarva over several months in 2010.

Carla Nicole Koester, 38, of Salisbury, was sentenced last Wednesday to four years in federal prison followed by three years supervised probation after pleading guilty to mail fraud and identity theft. According to her plea agreement, from April 2010 to August 2010, Koester stole checks and credit cards from homes and mailboxes and altered the checks and used them to obtain money from financial institutions and commercial retailers across Maryland. Koester victimized individuals in Wicomico, Somerset, Talbot, Dorchester and Anne Arundel Counties in Maryland before expanding her scheme into Delaware and Virginia.

Specifically, Koester approached individuals in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia at their homes and inquired whether they needed help. Once inside the homes, Koester stole checks and other financial instruments. In other instances, after working in the victims’ homes, Koester later burglarized the residences to obtain checks, cash and credit cards. She also stole checks from mailboxes.

Koester either issued the checks to herself and cashed them in her own name, or issued checks from one victim to another victim and obtained money from banks by impersonating the victim. In addition, video footage from Wal-Mart captured Koester paying for several items by fraudulent check. Koester defrauded at least 26 individual victims and 13 financial institutions, stealing over $30,000 during the course of the fraud scheme.

Suspect Sought In PRMC Assault

SALISBURY — Salisbury Police this week are still looking for the suspect who assaulted and robbed a woman in the parking garage near the emergency room at Peninsula Regional Medical Center last week.

Around 11:43 p.m. last Wednesday, Salisbury Police responded to the ER at PRMC for a reported strong-arm robbery that had just taken place. The victim told police she had dropped her husband off at the ER and then drove to park on the second level of the parking garage. When the victim exited her vehicle, she was approached by a white male who told her to give him all of her money.

The victim began screaming in an attempt to scare the suspect off when the suspect began to strike her in the face and head. The suspect was then able to grab the victim’s purse before fleeing the scene. The victim was treated at PRMC and released.

The suspect is described as a young, white male, roughly 5’7” with a medium build and medium-length brown hair. At the time of the assault, the suspect was wearing a gray tank top with white and black plaid shorts. Salisbury Police are asking anyone with information about the incident or the suspect to call 410-548-3165, or Crime Solvers at 410-548-1776.

Assault At Salvation Army

SALISBURY — A Fruitland man was arrested on assault and weapons charges last week after first threatening another man with a handgun before driving off with the victim holding on to the hood of his car.

Around noon last Wednesday, Salisbury Police responded to the area of Vine Street near the Salvation Army for a reported assault with possible gunshots fired. Salisbury Police met with a victim who said the suspect, later identified as Jordan Antwine Harris, 21, of Fruitland, with whom he is related by marriage, approached him and pointed a handgun at him.

When Harris retreated to his own vehicle and put away the handgun, the victim approached him again and a verbal altercation ensued. When Harris got in his vehicle and attempted to leave the parking lot, the victim jumped onto the vehicle in an attempt to stop him. After a short distance, the victim fell from the vehicle onto the roadway.

He was treated at PRMC and released. Salisbury Police took Harris into custody later the same day. A handgun was recovered, but there was no evidence it had been fired recently. Harris was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and several handgun violations.

Phony Stolen Motorcycle Story

SALISBURY — A Millsboro man was arrested in Salisbury last week for making a false report to law enforcement after allegedly making up a story about his motorcycle being stolen when he actually loaned the bike to a friend in exchange for drugs.

Shortly after 10 a.m. last Saturday, a Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office deputy responded met with a man identified as Andrew Shockley, 24, of Millsboro, who reported his motorcycle had been stolen. Shockley told police he was visiting a residence when an unknown suspect jumped on his motorcycle and rode away.

The deputy took the report and later located the missing motorcycle at a residence on Kiowa Blvd. The investigation revealed the motorcycle was not stolen, but rather was loaned out by Shockley in exchange for drugs. When police confronted Shockley, he admitted making up the story in order to use the Sheriff’s Office to help him recover his motorcycle. Shockley was arrested and charged with making a false report to law enforcement.