OC Officers Injured In Undercover Drug Operation

OCEAN CITY — Two Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) undercover narcotics officers were seriously injured last weekend when they were jumped by four men during an arranged drug deal gone bad in the area of St. Louis Ave. and 4th Street.

Last Saturday, the OCPD Narcotics Unit was working in the downtown area in an undercover capacity in an attempt to purchase illegal drugs from various individuals. Around 10 p.m., undercover detectives set up an arrangement to purchase marijuana from two individuals, Danny Lee Moore, 18, of Selbyville, and an unidentified juvenile. The transaction was to take place in the area of 4th Street and St. Louis Ave.

When the undercover narcotics detectives arrived at the appointed place and time, Moore and the original juvenile suspect, along with two other juveniles, attempted to rob the officers of their money. The robbery attempt turned physical as the four suspects assaulted the two undercover detectives. After a brief struggle with members of the OCPD Narcotics Unit, all four suspects were taken into custody, but not before seriously injuring the two undercover detectives.

Ocean City Emergency Services responded to the scene and transported one of the injured detectives to Atlantic General Hospital for treatment of injuries not believed to be life threatening. The second undercover officer was taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment. As of mid-week, the second detective had not been released from the hospital, although his condition had improved, Police Chief Bernadette DiPino said on Wednesday.

“We’re waiting to get a full report back, but he is progressing and his prognosis is very good,” she said. “I saw him yesterday [Tuesday] and he is doing much better. He could be released by the end of the week.”

Meanwhile, Moore and the three juveniles were each charged with attempted robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, and theft less than $100. Moore was also charged with resisting arrest, while one juvenile was charged with assault and resisting arrest and another was charged with possession of marijuana.

Moore was taken before a District Court Commissioner and was ordered held on a $50,000 bond. He was later released after posting bail. One juvenile was released to the custody of a parent or guardian, while two others were transferred to a juvenile detention center.