WOC Standoff Ends Peacefully

WEST OCEAN CITY — A West Ocean City man was charged with assault, false imprisonment and other charges this week after a nearly two-hour standoff at his home on Wednesday resulted in one of the largest mobilizations of local law enforcement and emergency services manpower and equipment in recent memory.

Around 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Worcester County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a reported domestic assault in progress on Blue Marlin Drive in West Ocean City. The initial investigation revealed the suspect, identified as Jasun V. Weistling, 37, of Ocean City, had been involved in a domestic altercation involving family members including his children and was highly intoxicated and possibly under the influence of prescription medication, according to police reports.

When deputies arrived, Weistling had fled from the home to the second floor of his detached two-car garage where he kept an office. According to sources, Weistling was self-employed as a day trader on the stock exchange from his home office. The perimeter was quickly secured and the victims of the assault were extracted from the home.

Over the next two-plus hours, Weistling remained in the garage office as the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, along with the Maryland State Police, Maryland Natural Resources Police (NRP) and the Ocean City Fire Marshal’s Office, continued to deploy massive amounts of manpower and equipment to the scene. SWAT teams in full regalia mobilized along with the Bomb Squad and its robot. Marked and unmarked police cars along with emergency services vehicles lined both sides of the otherwise peaceful street on both sides and in both directions as concerned neighbors looked on from a safe distance.

It was uncertain at the scene if Weistling was armed, or the extent of his arsenal, but Worcester County Sheriff’s Office Colonel Doug Dods confirmed yesterday the suspect was believed to be armed and potentially dangerous.

“When we got a hold of him, he wasn’t armed,” he said. “Family members told us he had a shotgun and a handgun in the garage office, so that raised a whole lot of concerns.”

Multiple attempts to establish communications with Weistling were made by law enforcement officials to no avail. At one point, the suspect’s father implored his son to come out peacefully over a loudspeaker, but the standoff continued. At another point, the Bomb Squad robot was deployed and officers on the scene called for a boom camera, presumably to gain visual access to the interior of the garage.

Finally, around 7:21 p.m., Worcester County Sheriff’s Office deputies were able to take Weistling into custody without further incident. He was transported to PRMC in Salisbury for evaluation. He was later charged with two counts of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, false imprisonment and alcohol intoxication endangerment. Weistling made an initial appearance in District Court yesterday morning and was ordered held on a $50,000 bond.

Dods said the incident had a fairly successful outcome despite concerns for Weistling, and more importantly, the family members involved.

“We’re hoping he gets the help he obviously needs, but he has to answer for his actions,” he said.