We Remember Those We Have Lost

Kristi Foster

BERLIN — Kristi Foster, 41, of Taneytown, formerly of Newark, passed away Friday, Feb. 18, 2011 at the Dove House in Westminster following a brief illness.  
Born Sept. 20, 1969 in Wetminster, she was the daughter of Guy and Judy Miller of Westminster.

She lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland for over 20 years.  She worked in hotel management in Ocean City, MD for most of that time at the Quality Inn Beachfront on 33rd St.  She loved the beach, surfing, traveling, driving her convertible with the top down, spending time with her dogs, horses and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she is survived by sister and brother-in-law Lauri and Ed Long of Union Bridge, nephews Matt Stefanski, Dylan Rutter, Aaron Rutter, Tristan Long and Dalton Long, former spouse Jeff Foster of Newark, Md. and devoted friend Nino Fama of Taneytown.  

Also survived by numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, dogs Tucker, Punky and Sailor.

She was predeceased by her grandparents Laurence and Kathryn Welsh.

There will be no visitation.  Graveside services were held Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2011 at Noon at Westminster Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Carroll Hospice Dove House, 292 Stoner Ave., Westminster, Md. 21157.

Charles Lindbergh Hoffman

FRUITLAND — Charles Lindbergh Hoffman, 87, died Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011 at his residence in Fruitland, where he and his wife have resided for the past three years.

Born in Lock Haven, Pa. on Dec. 19, 1923, he was the son of the late George Hoffman and Martha C. Whayland Hoffman. Charlie’s family moved to the Salisbury area when he was 3 years old.

“Charlie” was a life member of Bethesda United Methodist Church and Bethesda’s Boy Scout Troop 149 where Raymond Sheppard was his scout master whom he thought of like a father. He was also a member of the VFW Post 194, Elks Lodge 817, 50-year member of Centennial Lodge 221 of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons and the Eastern Shore Shrine Club of Boumi Temple, 50-year member of the Mystic Shrine, past Master of the Salisbury Chapter of DeMolay International, former member of the Salisbury Rotary Club, past president of the former Town Club and a WWII Coast Guard veteran. He was also the first appointed officer of the Wicomico County Board of Electrical Examiners.

He began working at Miller Electric in Salisbury the day after his military service ended and in 3 years became Vice President. He later became the owner and operater, retiring in 1990, after a total of 45 years with the company.

He was a water skier and an avid boater and loved fishing and music, especially the big band music. He enjoyed creating and inventing things and had many patents. In fact, he made his first set of water skies. He was a wonderful gentleman to all who knew him.

He is survived by his loving wife of 10 years, Mary Jane Wolfhope Hoffman; a sister, Flora Hoffman Fulton of Altoona, Fla.; 4 sister-in-laws, Doris Williams of Salisbury,

Irene Wolfhope Andes of York, Pa., Eleanor Wolfhope Wrye of Tyrone, Pa. and Georgia Wolfhope Conrad of Camden, Del.; a brother-in-law, Philip Wolfhope of Alexandria, Pa.; and many nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his first wife, Audrey Lee Hoffman in 1999; four brothers, George, Fred, William and Frank Hoffman; and two sisters, Carrie Hoffman Mears and Barbara Hoffman Wilson.

Services were held. Memorial contributions can be made to Bethesda U.M.C. Endowment Fund, 406 N. Division St., Salisbury, Md. 21801.

Arrangements are in the care of Holloway Funeral Home PA, 501 Snow Hill Rd., Salisbury, Md. 21804. To send condolences to the family, visit www.hollowayfh.com.

James Edward “Snooks” Lynch

BERLIN — Another of "The Greatest Generation" has departed. On February 20, 2011, James Edward Lynch of Berlin died at his residence surrounded by family. Known as "Snooks" or "Snook," he was 86.

"Snooks" was born in Berlin to Henry Lee and Katie Holland Lynch and raised on Burley Street. He was a member of the Buckingham High School Class of 1942 and worked as a Soda Jerk in Conley & Rayne’s — now Rayne’s Reef — until answering his Country’s call.

After entering the United States Army, Snooks was assigned to the 554th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, which was attached to the 29th Infantry Division. He was the trigger man on four 50 caliber machine guns mounted on the back of a half-track. Snooks departed the United States from New York Harbor on the Queen Mary for England. On June 9, 1944, he was deployed to France by way of Omaha Beach in Normandy. He participated in the U.S. Army’s drive through France and into Germany. His was the life of a soldier until January 1946 when he left Bremerhaven, Germany to return, on a much slower and less elegant steamer, to the United States.

In the meantime, he had written Jane Cropper from Bishopville, asking if she would go out with him upon his return. She sent him a picture of herself which he kept in his wallet for the rest of his life. When he returned, they did go out and married, settled down and began building a family.

With his older brother, Charles, he helped build several of the motels in Ocean City, including the King’s Arms, the Empress, Beachmark; Sahara; Executive; Tides and others. He also built many homes in the area. Snooks was a true craftsman.

He was a charter member of the Boggs-Disharoon American Legion Post #231 in Berlin and was a life member of the Buckingham Presbyterian Church of Berlin.

Snooks is survived by his wife. Jane; his sons, Joshua Edward Lynch and his wife Beverly and James Gary Lynch and his companion, Beth Cook; a daughter, Barbara Lynch Porter and her husband, Jeff; a brother, Franklin; grandchildren, Robert, Lee, Claire, Chase and Colin; great-grandchildren, Kristen, Carter, Baker and Ellis; many nephews and nieces, including Jesse and Tommy Lynch; and many grandnieces, grandnephews and cousins.

He was predeceased by his parents and siblings, Charles, Lloyd, William, Paul, Elmer, David, Mary, Pauline and Maude Gaskins.

Funeral services were held on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. at Buckingham Presbytarian Church in Berlin. Rev. Gary Baer officiated. Internment followed in Bishopville Cemetary.

In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Buckingham Prebytarian Church, P. O. Box 248, Berlin, Md 21811; or to Coastal Hospice, P. O. Box 1733, Salisbury, Md. 21802.

Aaron Cohen

OCEAN CITY — Aaron Cohen of Ocean City, loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, died peacefully in his sleep surrounded by his family on Friday, Feb. 18, 2011 at his second home in Fort Collins, Colorado. He was 90.

He was born and raised in Schenectady, N.Y. Growing up, he excelled in athletics, participating in basketball, tennis, and gymnastics in high school. He attended Union College in Schenectady, where he majored in physics. Having studied during World War II, upon graduation he was hired by The General Electric Company as an engineer, where one of his first jobs involved the development of Sonar technology to detect enemy submarines. His work at G.E. also involved research and development of jet aircraft engines.

G.E., however, offered Aaron more than a career. It was there that he met Grayce Cohn, another G.E. employee, who became his wife and best friend. They married in 1946 and built a family: daughter, Sharon, and son, Bruce. They shared a long life together filled with family and friends.

Aaron and Grayce lived in Schenectady until, in 1961, GE transferred Aaron to Bethesda, Maryland where he worked on the Apollo space program. Soon after, Aaron started a new career taking his technical skills to the federal government. For nearly 20 years he worked in information technology as a deputy director for the U.S. Department of Commerce in Economic Development Administration. While living in Bethesda, Ocean City became the traditional destination for their family summer vacations. After falling in love with the beach, Aaron and Grayce bought a home in Ocean City in 1975.

Upon Aaron’s retirement in 1982, he and Grayce moved from Bethesda to Phoenix, Arizona where he helped Grayce run her small medical related business. For years, they would split their time between homes; wintering in Phoenix and summers in their home in Ocean City. Aaron and Grayce anchored their Ocean City life through their involvement in the development and growth of Temple Bat Yam.

In 2006, to be closer to their family, Aaron and Grayce sold their Phoenix home and moved to Fort Collins, Colo. Thereafter, they split their time between the foothills of Fort Collins and the beach in Ocean City.

Besides his interest in computers and technology, Aaron loved animals, never missing an opportunity to pat a passing dog or cat. He also enjoyed tennis, classical music, and spending time walking the beach and boardwalk at his Ocean City home.

Aaron is survived by his wife, Grayce; children Sharon and Bruce; grandchildren Jason, Adam and Danielle and Sarah; and great-grandchildren Abe, Eliana, Zev and Max.

The family extends special and heartfelt thanks to Don Lange, Mario Burton, and the personnel of Pathways Hospice for the loving care they provided at the end of his life.

 In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Temple Bat Yam in Berlin, www.templebatyam-oc.org, or Pathways Hospice of Larimer County in Fort Collins, Colo. www.pathways-care.org, The family invites friends to sign Aaron’s guest book at www.resthavencolorado.com