Friday, June 4–High-Speed Chase In Resort Leads To Drugs, Weapons

OCEAN CITY – A Fallston
man was arrested last weekend on drunk driving, drugs and weapons charges after
a wild chase that ended with a crash in the downtown area.

Around 12:15 a.m. last
Saturday, Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) initiated a traffic stop in the
area of 47th Street after witnessing a Pontiac GTO spinning wheels
on Coastal Highway. As the officer approached the vehicle, the driver, later
identified as Joshua Mark Hammond, 20, of Fallston, put the vehicle in reverse,
nearly hitting the OCPD cruiser before fleeing.

Hammond continued to
flee police, traveling south on Coastal Highway at a high rate of speed. The
Pontiac struck the curb crossed over to the east side of Coastal Highway while
continuing to head south and struck the curb before speeding southbound in the
northbound lanes of the highway.

Hammond nearly struck
three northbound vehicles head on as he headed south on the wrong side of the
highway before crossing back over to the southbound lanes at 45th
Street, according to police reports.

OCPD officers continued
to pursue Hammond at a high rate of speed as he continued to travel south on
Coastal Highway, running several red lights along the way according to police
reports. After Hammond ran his final red light at 8th Street, he
lost control of the vehicle and struck two unoccupied vehicles on Philadelphia

Hammond was taken into
custody following the crash. A search of the vehicle revealed suspected marijuana,
cocaine and an ASP police baton. Hammond was transported to Atlantic General
Hospital where he was treated for back pain and later released. There were two
passengers traveling with Hammond, a juvenile and an unidentified 19-year-old
man, both of whom were issued traffic citations.

Hammond has been charged
with driving while intoxicated and under the influence of alcohol, possession
of controlled dangerous substances including marijuana and cocaine, reckless
endangerment, possession of a deadly weapon and multiple traffic violations
related to the incident. He remained behind bars until his initial appearance
before a District Court Commissioner on Tuesday.

At that hearing, bond
was set at $100,000 and Hammond remained behind bars as of mid-week. His trial
has already been set for Aug. 24 in Ocean City.