Mallards Roll Past Ravens, 15-4

Mallards Roll Past Ravens, 15-4

BERLIN- Visiting Sussex Tech hung with Worcester Prep for the better part of one quarter on Monday before a Mallards’ scoring barrage with just over two minutes remaining in the period settled the issue once and for all.

Worcester cruised to a relatively easy 15-4 win over the Ravens on Monday, but for a long time it appeared to two teams would be involved in a dog fight. Neither team scored in the first six-plus minutes of the first with both teams making few in roads on the opposing defenses. However, with 2:24 remaining in the first, Worcester’s Andrew Ternahan broke the ice in a man-down situation for the Mallards and bounced a shot passed the Sussex Tech keeper for a 1-0 lead.

A little over a minute later, Worcester’s Brad Harris made a nice move from behind and converted the opportunity for a 2-0 lead for the Mallards with 1:15 remaining in the first. About 20 seconds later, it was Harris again, this time on a perfect feed on the crease from Ryan McGuire at the 56-second mark in the first quarter for the Mallards third goal in a little over two minutes.

Worcester wasn’t done its scoring outburst in the first quarter. With 40 seconds left, Brad Regan scored to make it 4-0, and Justin Butler made it 5-0 with just five seconds left in the period when he took a beautiful assist from Jake Emche on the crease and converted the open shot for a 5-0 Worcester lead.

The Mallards continued their assault on the Ravens’ goal throughout the second quarter, extending the lead to 9-0 just five minutes into the period. Andrew Terhanah made it 10-0 in favor of Worcester at the 3:41 mark in the second quarter with a worm-burner from the perimeter. The Mallards led, 10-0, at the intermission.

Sussex Tech finally got on the board at the 10:53 mark of the third quarter, but Worcester had the immediate answer. After the ensuing face-off, Harris went right down the middle of the field and through the Ravens’ defense for a quick goal at the 10:34 mark to make it 11-1.

About 20 seconds later, a wide-open Andrew Ternahan took a perfect feed from Emche and converted the open look to extend the lead to 12-1. Emche hit Alex Ternahan for another assist at the 9:01 mark in the third to make it 13-1. The two teams swapped fourth quarter goals in mop-up time in the fourth as the Mallards cruised to the 15-4 win.

The win over Sussex Tech on Monday continued a mini-roll for the Mallards, who beat Delaware powerhouse Tower Hill, 8-7, last Friday. Worcester will face Easton at home this afternoon before hitting the road for a game against Delmarva Christian next Monday.