Worcester Girls Fall to Flames, 48-22

Worcester Girls Fall to Flames, 48-22

BERLIN- Worcester Prep’s girls’ varsity basketball team hung with visiting Greenwood Mennonite for about a quarter on Tuesday before falling to the Flames, 48-22.

The Mallards fell behind early and trailed 9-3 late in the first quarter, but cut the deficit to just three points with under a minute to go in the period on a lay-up and a converted free throw to complete the three-point play to cut the lead to 9-6. That was as close as Worcester would get for the rest of the afternoon, however, as the Flames went on a mini-scoring binge to close out the first period.

After Greenwood scored a basket with 10 seconds left in the first, a Flames player stole the inbound pass and scored on a quick lay-up. She was fouled and converted the free-throw to make it a three point play and Greenwood scored five points in the last 10 seconds of the first to lead 14-6.

In the second quarter, Greenwood scored on a long three-point shot to extend the lead to 17-6 and pushed the lead to 21-7 before Worcester made a little run of its own. Molly Dickerson hit a long jumper to cut the lead to 21-9, but Greenwood answered right back with a basket of its own. Worcester’s Theresa Ciletti scored with 2:20 left in the second quarter, and the Mallards added another basket after a steal to cut the lead to 23-13 at the half.

After a scoring drought by both teams early in the third, Ciletti scored for Worcester with just over six minutes left in the period to cut the lead to 23-15. With 3:20 left in the third, the Mallards scored again to cut the lead to just five points at 23-17, but Greenwood closed out the third quarter with a big run. The Flames extended the lead to 15 points at 32-17 with just over a minute left in the third and nailed a long three-pointer at the buzzer to push the lead to 20 points at 37-17 at the end of three.

From there, the Flames continued to press the issue on offense while Worcester continued to struggle to score in the fourth. Greenwood led 41-18 with four minutes left and 43-21 with just over two minutes left before closing out the 48-22 win.