Seahawks Thump Washington, 63-50

BERLIN- Stephen Decatur’s boys’ varsity basketball team got back in the win column this week, beating visiting Washington High, 63-50, on Tuesday to improve to 3-6 on the season.

It was the second win of the year over Washington for the Seahawks, who edged the Jaguars, 60-59, in their first meeting two weeks ago during the Crisfield Holiday Tournament. Tuesday’s game played out much the same way although the outcome wasn’t as close as the first time around.

Decatur was at its very best on Tuesday when it utilized its up-tempo style and attacked the basket. Washington, meanwhile, was living and dying on the three-pointer, and while it kept the Jaguars in the game for a while, they were not consistent enough to sustain the long-range game. Washington didn’t have a deep bench and it appeared the Jags got tired at the end, which will take a little lift off the long-range shot.

Decatur wasted little time jumping out on Washington and led 8-0 before the Jags got on the board nearly three minutes into the contest. The Seahawks led 11-4 when Washington nailed its first three-pointer of the night to cut the lead to 11-7 with just over four minutes left in the first quarter.

The Seahawks responded and pushed the lead to 17-7 with at the 2:26 mark in the first, but Washington hit another three to cut the lead to seven points at 17-10. Already it appeared the Jags would hang just close enough to stay in the game as long as they continued to make three-pointers. The first quarter ended with Decatur leading 20-13.

Early in the second quarter, Decatur guard Timmy Parks stole the ball and knocked down a jumper to extend the Seahawk lead to 23-13. On the next possession, Parks drove hard to the basket to convert a lay-up in traffic and extend the lead to 12 points at 25-13, the largest lead of the game for Decatur at that point.

There was no quit in the outmanned Jaguars, however. On the next possession, a Jag player made a lay-up, got fouled and converted the free throw for a three-point play. After a quick steal, Washington converted another long three-pointer for six points in 30 seconds and the Decatur lead was cut to six at 25-19 with a lot of time left in the second.

After Decatur’s Blair Woodard knocked down a jumper, Washington launched another successful three-pointer to cut the lead to five at 27-22 with two minutes remaining in the half. The Seahawks then went on a mini-run of their own to close out the first half with a 35-26 lead.

A similar pattern played out in the second half with Decatur maintaining a nine- to 10-point cushion. Washington did cut into the lead a few times, but in the end, the Seahawks emerged with the 63-50 win. Decatur’s Tim Donnelly led all scorers with 19 points while Woodard added 13.