Accused Murderer Admits To Leaving Baby In Toilet

OCEAN CITY – The sick and twisted case involving an Ocean City mother and business owner took another turn late yesterday with the announcement the county’s top prosecutor has filed new murder charges.

Prompting national news attention on Monday and Tuesday, Christy Freeman, 37, was charged last week with first- and second-degree murder and manslaughter after police discovered a 26-week-old fetus in her apartment’s bathroom vanity. Later, authorities discovered three more fetuses.

In a statement, State’s Attorney Joel Todd’s announced yesterday the charges involving that fetus have been dismissed.

“The State, additionally, entered a nolle presequi, or dismissal, as to the charges filed against her late last week dealing with the death of her viable fetus,” the statement read. “The request for nolle prosequi states that: ‘New charges against the Defendant have been filed, and are more applicable to the facts and circumstances of this case than charges brought under the Viable Fetus Statute of 2005.’”

Freeman has now been charged with the first-degree murder of an infant born to her in 2004. The charge includes second-degree murder and manslaughter. The maximum punishment is life imprisonment for first-degree murder.

In the application for statement of charges released by the Ocean City Police Department last night, the reasoning for the new charges are clearly outlined.

Freeman reportedly decided to give a quasi confession “for my kids, so you will them leave alone.”

Freeman told police the human remains found in a chest last week were twins she gave birth to in 2004. Freeman said the first twin she gave birth to may have been alive, although she said she could not be certain. She did admit to placing the first twin in a towel and covering it up.

According to the charging documents, Freeman replied “don’t know” when asked if the one twin was alive. She also said “I didn’t check.”

“I asked Freeman if she provided pre natal care, 911 or EMS. Freeman replied, ‘No’. I asked if that was because it meant nothing, Freeman replied ‘Yes,’” the charging documents said.

On July 30, Freeman was interviewed again. She admitted to “sitting on the toilet in her home” and gave birth to “Twin One” while on the toilet. Freeman reportedly let the twin fall into the toilet and did not remove it until it was dead.

“Once Twin One was dead, Freeman removed Twin One from the water; placed it on a towel she had at her feet; covered Twin One up in the towel; then threw Twin One under the sink,” the charging documents reported. “Freeman would then, knowing when her family was not around, place Twin One in a bag, Freeman then placed the bag outside under the snow plow.”

There was no mention of the second twin in the charging documents or yesterday’s statement.

Freeman asked police repeatedly to leave her children alone in the course of the interview.

“Freeman stated she was more afraid of what [boyfriend] Ray [Godman] and the kids were feeling, not what was happening with the police,” the documents said.

On Aug. 2, the Office of the Chief Medical Exmainer in Baltimore advised police the remains of Twin One are consistent with that of a full term or near full-term infant.

“Therefore, I pray a warrant be issued for Christy L. Freeman containing the charge of first-degree murder,” the charging documents said.

Keep up with the latest in this case on The Dispatch’s website.

About The Author: Steven Green

Alternative Text

The writer has been with The Dispatch in various capacities since 1995, including serving as editor and publisher since 2004. His previous titles were managing editor, staff writer, sports editor, sales account manager and copy editor. Growing up in Salisbury before moving to Berlin, Green graduated from Worcester Preparatory School in 1993 and graduated from Loyola University Baltimore in 1997 with degrees in Communications (journalism concentration) and Political Science.