Thursday, April 12 – OC Rape Suspect Sentenced In ’06 Assault Case

Thursday, April 12 – OC Rape Suspect Sentenced In ’06 Assault Case

SNOW HILL – An Ocean City man arrested last week for
allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl was sentenced this week to 18 months in
jail for convictions on assault and burglary charges from a similar incident
last June.

Semeredin Bederu, 24, of Ocean City, was arrested for
allegedly raping a 17-year-old Cumberland, Md. girl during a party at a
downtown resort apartment after the victim passed out from alcohol consumption.
Bederu appeared in Worcester County Circuit Court on Monday for a sentencing
hearing on second-degree assault and fourth-degree burglary convictions from an
incident last June, during which he attacked a group of girls getting off an
Ocean City bus.

Bederu pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and
fourth-degree burglary for that incident in December and a pre-sentence
investigation was ordered. Back in Circuit Court this Monday, Bederu was
sentenced to 18 months for each charge, which he will serve concurrently.

Bederu and Senay Haile, 25, also of Ocean City, were
arrested last week and charged with second-degree rape and second-degree
assault for the alleged sexual assault on a 17-year-old girl from Cumberland,
Md. In the incident last week, the intoxicated victim was walking on the
Boardwalk when she was approached by a group of men near 6th Street.
She continued to party with the four men at an apartment near 6th
Street and the party later moved to an apartment at Jocelyn Manner on 8th

Last Tuesday’s alleged incident continues a pattern of
assault and abuse carried out by Bederu in the resort. Last June, Ocean City
Police responded to an apartment on 4th Street for a reported
breaking and entering. Upon arrival, the officers learned a group of female
victims had gotten off a bus near their apartment when they were confronted by
a man later identified as Bederu.

One of the victims told police Bederu grabbed her arm and
told her to come with him, but when she rebuffed his advances, he threw a
Gatorade bottle at her and hit her in the head. The girls ran to their
apartment and lock the door. Bederu chased the girls, but they were able to get
inside and lock the door. When Bederu crashed through the glass front door, the
girls locked themselves in the bedroom.

several unsuccessful attempts to break into the bedroom, Bederu gave up and
left the apartment. Police soon arrived and found Bederu staggering down the
street intoxicated.