OCEAN CITY- The Ocean City Recreation and Parks Department’s Winter Adult Indoor Soccer League continued last weekend with a full slate of games at Northside Park.
Just a few weeks into the season, Sunsations remains unbeaten at 5-0 and sits atop the standings. Kirby’s Pub and the River Soccer Club are each 5-1 and just a half a game behind Sunsations for the early lead in the standings. The following is a quick look at some of last week’s action:
• River Soccer Club 10- Kirby’s 0: Justin Brooks Ward scored a hat trick for River, while Joe Garner and Sean Whalen each added two goals. Sean Lewis was in the net for River for the shutout.
• Renob 7- OC United 4: Jason Stitely scored three goals and Logan Becker added two for Renob in the win.
• Sunsations 10- The Cure 2: Claudio Mena scored three times for Sunsations, which improved to 4-0 on the season.
• Brazil 10- The Misfits 1: David Mesquita scored four goals as Brazil cruised past the Misfits to improve to 3-2.
• River Soccer Club 10- Renob 2: Peter Mais scored three goals to lead River. Dan Korengi and Sean Whalen added two goals apiece.
• Kirby’s 8- OC United 3: Deron Cormack led Kirby’s with three goals. Andy Kitzrow pitched in with two goals as Kirby’s improved to 5-1.
• Sunsations 3- Brazil 0: Alberto Sosa scored two goals and Martin Lemus recorded a shutout as Sunsations remained unbeaten on the young season at 5-0.
• The Cure 11- The Misfits 2: Nick Izzo went off for five goals and Connor Danaher was equally impressive with four goals of his own as the Cure trounced the Misfits.
BERLIN- The holidays are now in the rear view mirror and school is back in session, meaning the 2015 Coastal Lacrosse Club season is right around the corner and registration is now open. The Coastal Lacrosse Club is looking forward to its 7th season and is excited to see how far it has come and is looking forward to a … Continue reading
BERLIN- With the drama of junior guard Dayona Godwin’s 1,000th career point dispensed with early, the Decatur girls’ varsity basketball team rolled past visiting Washington, 77-6, on Tuesday. With a full house on hand to watch Godwin’s milestone, the Seahawks left little to chance against the overmatched Jags on Tuesday. After swapping a couple of early baskets, Decatur went on … Continue reading
BERLIN- Stephen Decatur’s varsity volleyball team was well represented when the Bayside South awards were announced last week following the 2014 season. Bennett’s Madison Brock was named Player of the Year and Pocomoke’s Paul Becker was named Coach of the Year in the Bayside South. Decatur’s Ellen Bargar and Hannah Adkins were named First Team-All Bayside South. The first team … Continue reading
SALISBURY- The 33rd Annual Governor’s Cup holiday basketball number got off to a fast start this week with championships claimed in the early brackets and mixed results for some of the local teams participating. The Governor’s Challenge has long been a staple of the holiday basketball tournament scene on the shore. For years, it has featured the top boys’ high … Continue reading
BERLIN- Stephen Decatur’s girls’ varsity basketball team won its opener in the annual John Coleman Holiday Tournament last week, beating St. Andrew’s Episcopal, 43-35, in a low-scoring game. The Seahawks trailed early, 9-8, after the first quarter, but turned it around in the second quarter and led 22-21 at the half. Decatur led 29-26 after three and hung on for … Continue reading
WEST OCEAN CITY- Young wrestlers from the Eastern Shore Intensive Wrestling Club, based in West Ocean City, turned in strong performances at the 3rd Annual Camp Barnes Wrestling Classic last weekend with winners in several weigh and age classes. The Eastern Shore Intensive Wrestling Club, under the direction of Coach Keith Tobin and his staff, provides young wrestlers in the … Continue reading
OCEAN CITY- The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Fisheries Service last week announced a couple of notices regarding species important to the local recreational fishery including a closure of the recreational black sea bass fishery effective this week. DNR Fisheries announced last week the recreational black sea bass fishery will be closed from January 1 through February 28. DNR … Continue reading
BERLIN- Stephen Decatur’s varsity wrestling team this week is competing in the Battle by the Bay Tournament hosted by Indian River High School after sweeping three straight matches just before the holiday break. The Seahawks lost to Poly in its season opener, then reeled off three straight wins in impressive fashion over Kent County, North Dorchester and St. Michael’s just … Continue reading
BERLIN- Despite challenging weather conditions, Maryland hunters took over 34,000 deer during the popular two-week firearm season that closed last week with hunters in Worcester County taking the fourth highest total in the state. The total harvest was down about seven percent compared to last year’s two-week total of 36,572 total deer harvested, a decline blamed largely on significant rain … Continue reading