SNOW HILL — Two of three Washington, D.C. residents arrested last September on strong-armed robbery and other charges after assaulting a store employee along the side of Route 50 in West Ocean City before fleeing in a vehicle with four young children inside pleaded guilty last week to robbery.
Around 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 3, 2014, Maryland State Police received a 911 call regarding an assault in the area of the Mattress Warehouse on Route 50. Troopers arrived and meet with a victim who told police she was walking home from work when a silver vehicle pulled up next two her. The victim told police two African-American women got out of the vehicle and assaulted her and stole her purse containing a large amount of money.
The Berlin Police responded to assist and discovered the stolen items on the shoulder of Route 50. MSP troopers were later able to locate the vehicle in Wicomico County. Troopers approached the vehicle and located three suspects, identified as Kaleah N. McMillan, 24; Latasha Renee Tucker, 25; and John Garcia Scott, 26, all of Washington, D.C. Also located in the vehicle were four children, ages 6, 5, 4, and eight months.
A search of the vehicle resulted in the recovery of a large sum of money. McMillan, Tucker and Scott were arrested and charged with strong-arm robbery, theft over $1,000, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The Department of Social Services was contacted and placed the four children in protective custody. Assisting the MSP in the investigation was the Worcester County Bureau of Investigations (WCBI), the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office Patrol Division and the Berlin Police Department.
Last week, Tucker pleaded guilty to robbery and was sentenced to seven years, all but six months of which was suspended. McMillan also pleaded guilty to robbery and sentencing in his case has been set for Feb. 20. Scott was scheduled to appear for trial on Thursday, the outcome of which was not known as of late yesterday.
Jail For Weed Dealing
SNOW HILL — A Pocomoke man arrested in September on marijuana distribution charges after a three-week OCPD investigation pleaded guilty this week and was sentenced to a year in jail.
Around 4 p.m. on Sept. 12, 2014, OCPD narcotics detectives, assisted by the Special Enforcement Unit and the Patrol Division, concluded the three-week distribution investigation with the arrests of Blair D. Smith, 22, of no fixed address, and Michael L. Blake, 23, of Pocomoke. During the investigation, OCPD narcotics detectives made several purchases of marijuana from the suspects. Blake was also arrested and charged with conspiracy to distribute controlled dangerous substances and possession and distribution of marijuana.
This week in Circuit Court, Blake pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute marijuana and was sentenced to two years and six months in jail. All but one year of the sentence was then suspended. Blake was also placed on probation for two years and fined $500. Smith has not yet appeared for trial.
Two Charged With Illegal Oyster Harvest
SALISBURY — Maryland Natural Resources Police (NRP) last week charged two Eastern Shore men with poaching oysters in the Nanticoke River and face fines of up to $6,000.
NRP officers were conducting surveillance of the Nanticoke River Oyster Sanctuary in Wicomico County around 4 a.m. when they observed two men dredging within its boundaries. The NRP officers intercepted the unlighted vessel after it finished dredging and started to head upstream.
The officers boarded the vessel and found 32 bushels of oysters on board, four of which contained undersized oysters. Vaughn Edward Collins, 44, of Nanticoke, and Kristopher Graves, 20, of Salisbury, were each charged with illegal oyster harvesting within 150 feet inside a sanctuary, harvesting oysters before legal hours, possessing oysters aboard a vessel between two hours after sunset and before sunrise, being over the daily harvest limit, failing to tag oysters and possessing oysters at 40 percent below legal size. Collins was also cited for operating a vessel without running lights.
The 32 bushels of oysters were returned to the sanctuary and the dredge was seized. Both men are scheduled to appear in Wicomico District Court in March. If found guilty on all charges, each suspect faces a maximum fine of $6,000.
Phone Scam Warning
BERLIN — The Worcester County Sheriff’s Office this week is warning the public about a phone scam popping up in the area.
Several incidents have been reported throughout Worcester County of a bogus police agency contacting residents by phone and requesting they pay a fine or a warrant will be issued. The Sheriff’s Office is warning no law enforcement agency or court system will contact residents by phone regarding a personal matter.
The FBI has been contacted and an investigation is currently underway. The Sheriff’s Office is reminding residents the best practice is to not answer a call from an unknown caller. Anyone who has information about the incidents or suspects he or she might have been a victim of the scam is urged to contact Cpl. Dale Trotter at 410-632-1111.
Shot Fired During School Bus Stop Fight
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was arrested on reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct charges last week after allegedly firing a shotgun into the air during a dispute on a school bus stop.
Around 5 p.m. last Thursday, the Salisbury Police responded to the area of Marshall Street for a report of shots fired. The investigation revealed a suspect, later identified as Corey Lamont Curtis, 38, of Salisbury, exited his residence and fired a single shot from a shotgun into the air. Initially, Curtis refused to exit his residence to meet with police. Salisbury Police officers were able to convince Curtis to exit his home and he was taken into custody without further incident.
The investigation revealed there was a confrontation between juveniles as the exited their school bus. During the confrontation, parents of the juveniles, including Curtis, began exiting their residences and became involved in the fight. Curtis retaliated by entering his residence and returning with a shotgun. He then discharged a single shot into the air.
After firing the shot, Curtis fled back into the same residence. There were no injuries reported. A search and seizure warrant was obtained and served at the residence where the shotgun was seized. Curtis has been charged with reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct and discharging a firearm within city limits.
SALISBURY — A Salisbury teen was arrested on assault and robbery charges last weekend after allegedly knocking down a woman and swiping her purse in a convenience store.
Around 11 p.m. last Saturday, Salisbury Police responded to the Express Mart on N. Salisbury Blvd. for a reported robbery. Officers met with a 54-year-old victim who told police she was just robbed of her purse and that the suspect had fled toward the rear of the business. The investigation revealed the victim had entered the store and made a purchase.
When she exited the store, the victim was accosted by two unknown juveniles on the side of the business. One of the suspects pushed the victim to the ground and stole her purse. The two suspects then ran behind the building with the victim’s purse. The victim did not sustain any injuries in the attack.
Detectives were able to review video surveillance, which captured both suspects as they entered the store. With the assistance of the Salisbury community, detectives were able to identify both suspects as local juvenile males. The suspect who pushed the victim to the ground was located and arrested. The 15-year-old juvenile has been charged with robbery, theft, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The second suspect was found to not have any direct involvement in the robbery and assault.
Robbery Suspect Nabbed
SALISBURY — Salisbury Police last week arrested a suspect wanted in connection with a gun point robbery in late October.
Around midnight on October 23, Salisbury Police responded to the Truitt Street area for a reported robbery. Officers met with a victim who said he had just been robbed at gun point and the suspects stole his cell phone, $200 in cash and a set of keys and fled the area on foot. Through the investigation, detectives were able to positively identify the suspect through a photo line-up as Aaron Robinson Jones, 20, of Salisbury. A warrant was sworn for Jones’ arrest and Salisbury Police located the suspect and took him into custody last Thursday. He has been charged with armed robbery, robbery and weapons violations and is being held on a $500,000 bond.