Hugh Thomas Cropper, Jr. was appointed to serve out the term of Mayor Daniel Trimper, Jr., who had resigned on May 15, 1959 to join the Worcester County Commissioners.
Cropper went on to win several elections and served as mayor throughout the 1960s. During the March Storm of 1962, he was instrumental in obtaining the state aid that rebuilt the Boardwalk and got the town back on its feet.
Cropper spearheaded the 1965 annexation to the Delaware line and extended the water and sewer lines that enabled the development of North Ocean City. Cropper also worked to make the Ocean City Convention Hall a reality. Remembered as one of Ocean City’s greatest mayors, today the Inlet parking lot is named in his honor.
Photo courtesy Liz Dare
This photo depicts the corner of Caroline Street and Philadelphia Avenue in 1930. The homemade tennis court was on the west side of the home of Irving Mumford, who was famous for taking a daily dip in the ocean which he did on a year-round basis regardless of the weather. The sign on the large brown house reads “The Caroline,” … Continue reading
The Knickerbocker Ferry passes through the Route 50 Bridge in February 1971. Planned as a floating shopping mall with two restaurants and a 200-seat movie theater, the former Staten Island, N.Y. Ferry met with nothing but disaster during her three-and-a-half year stint in Ocean City. Owned by the Washington-based company, Ferryboat Ltd., the boat got stuck on a sandbar off … Continue reading
The Ground Observer Corps was made up of civilian volunteers in the early years of World War II. Part of the “Aircraft Warning Service,” spotters used visual aids such as silhouettes and spotter cards to identify potential enemy aircraft along the coastline in 1942 and 1943. No enemy aircraft were ever spotted off the Maryland coast but submarine attacks on … Continue reading
The Hastings Hotel was built in 1916 on the Boardwalk between 2nd and 3rd streets by its namesake Josephine Hastings. It was purchased by Willye Conner Ludlam in the mid-1920s who built the Miramar next door and connected it to the Hastings. The Hastings-Miramar was later managed by Mrs. Ludlam’s daughter-in-law Thelma Conner, who became the first woman to serve … Continue reading
The Sinepxuent Bay Bridge (now known as the Harry Kelley Memorial Bridge or more commonly the Route 50 Bridge) was under construction in this 1942 photo. This bridge replaced the original single lane automobile bridge, which had been built in 1916 and entered town at Worcester Street. Construction began in 1940 and was completed by the Spring of 1942 — … Continue reading
St. Rose’s Summer Home for Orphans was built by the Sisters of Charity of Washington, DC in 1898. It was far outside of city limits at the time (Ocean City ended at 7th Street in that era) and the road to 14th Street was unpaved. Supplies were delivered by ox cart and horse drawn wagon and it would be over … Continue reading
Eight blocks of Boardwalk from N. Division to 1st streets were rebuilt in concrete and widened by 10 feet between January and April in 1955. The Mayor and Council had decided to replace the wood with concrete due to maintenance costs. The George Bert Cropper Company did the work for $43,819 and used some of the timber salvaged to widen … Continue reading
This postcard image (circa 1909) shows an Ocean City of the time before paved streets and traffic jams. Photographed from the old water tower on Somerset Street the view looks east across Baltimore Avenue toward the ocean. The tall brick chimney in the foreground was part of the town’s electric power plant while the original Atlantic Hotel took up the … Continue reading
The Hurricane of 1933 created the Ocean City Inlet and separated the town from Assateague forever. Following the storm, the South Point Ferry was the only way for automobiles to reach Assateague Island and since the ferry could only carry a maximum of three cars, there was very little traffic. Assateague became a place for sportsmen to hunt and fish … Continue reading