Vanishing Ocean City With Bunk Mann

vanishing 7-11

The Surf and Sands was one of the first motels on the beachfront strip that became known as “Motel Row.” Built by Dirk and Roda Quillin, it stretched from 22nd to 23rd streets along the Boardwalk and opened Memorial Day weekend in 1955.

The original motel was two stories high and featured the first kidney-shaped swimming pool in Ocean City. Its phone number was 960 (there were not many phones in town in 1955) and an oceanfront room with twin beds rented for $16 a night. The Surf and Sands was one of the most popular motels of its era.

Today the Days Inn occupies the site of the Surf and Sands and — along with the former French Quarter Motel — encompasses the entire block from the Boardwalk to Baltimore Avenue.

Photo courtesy of JD Quillin

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

HTML tags are not allowed.