The Belmont was a landmark on Dorchester Street with its distinctive green and yellow façade for many years.
Located just a few steps off the Boardwalk, it had been built by Lambert Ayres in 1897. Lizzie Hearne bought the hotel in 1902 and she and her descendants ran it and later its attached sister hotel, the Hearne, for over 100 years.
The Belmont-Hearne, as it came to be known, was reputed to be the last hotel in Ocean City to offer the American Plan (meals included with the cost of a room) to its guests.
The Belmont-Hearne was demolished in November 2004 for the construction of the Belmont Towers condominium.
Photo by Sharon Mick