OCEAN CITY — A Gaithersburg, Md. man last week was charged with multiple sex offenses following an investigation into an alleged sexual assault in Ocean City in June.
During the week of June 10, Ocean City police detectives began investigating a sex offense that had allegedly occurred on June 8. Detectives met with a 20-year-old victim who told police she had come to Ocean City with several other individuals and was allegedly assaulted by one of them, later identified as Luis M. Calderon, 25, of Gaithersburg.
The investigation revealed on June 7, Calderon came to Ocean City with his fiancé and other friends, including the victim. When group members arrived at their rented condominium, they began consuming alcoholic beverages and became intoxicated. The victim told police she remembered going to sleep in one of the bedrooms where she was later allegedly sexually assaulted by Calderon.
On July 16, OCPD detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Calderon charging him with second- and third-degree sex offense, fourth-degree sexual contact, sodomy and second-degree assault. Last week, the outstanding warrant was served on Calderon by Montgomery County authorities. He was taken into custody and later released after posting bond.
Alleged Drunk Driver
Collides With Cop Car
WEST OCEAN CITY — A West Ocean City man was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and other traffic charges after running a red light on Route 50 at Keyser Point Rd. early last Saturday morning and colliding with a marked Maryland State Police patrol car and injuring a trooper.
Around 2:40 a.m. last Saturday, an MSP trooper on routine patrol was traveling west on Route 50 and entered the intersection with Keyser Point Rd. with a green traffic signal. At that point, a Ford Mustang, driven by David Leyden of West Ocean City made a left turn from eastbound Route 50 into the intersection against a red traffic signal and collided with the MSP trooper’s vehicle.
During the investigation, it was determined Leyden was allegedly under the influence of alcohol and he was charged with DUI and other traffic-related offenses. The trooper was transported to PRMC and was subsequently released.
For Leyden, it was his second drunk-driving related accident on Route 50 in as many years. Around 8:30 p.m. last July 12, Maryland State Police responded to an accident on Route 50 just west of the bridge. The investigation revealed the driver, later identified as Leyden, was traveling west on Route 50 approaching a red traffic signal at Inlet Isle Lane when he ran into the back of another vehicle stopped at the light.
The force of that collision caused the struck vehicle to run into the vehicle in front of it, which was also stopped at the light. Two minors were injured although neither required transport to the hospital. In that incident, Leyden later pleaded guilty to driving under the influence and was placed on probation and fined $400.
Suspect In Pedestrian
OCEAN CITY — Ocean City police this week are investigating a hit-and-run collision involving a pedestrian early Tuesday morning in the area of 62nd Street.
Around 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Ocean City Police responded to the area of Coastal Highway just south of 62nd Street for a reported motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian. The pedestrian was crossing Coastal Highway from west to east and was struck in the northbound lanes. The vehicle involved then fled the scene.
During the investigation, Ocean City Police found a vehicle part near the collision site believed to be part of the vehicle involved. The part is believed to have come from a new model Volkswagen Jetta. A search for a possible vehicle match early Tuesday morning proved fruitless, but the investigation is ongoing.
The victim, whose name is not being released at this time, was transported to PRMC with injuries not believed to be life threatening. Anyone with information about the vehicle involved in the collision is urged to contact Pfc. Joseph Centofranchi at 410-520-5381.
10 Years For Heroin Dealer
SNOW HILL — An Ocean Pines man, one of two local residents arrested last fall in one of the largest heroin busts in Worcester County history, was sentenced this month to 20 years in jail, half of which was then suspended.
Over several months late last summer and early fall, the Worcester County Criminal Enforcement Team, in partnership with the Ocean City Police Narcotics Unit, conducted several joint heroin investigations in the north end of the county. During the course of the investigation, a suspect identified as Leck Lyons, 39, of Ocean Pines, was identified as a source of the heroin being distributed in the north end of Worcester.
As a result, a search and seizure warrant was authored for Lyons’ home in Ocean Pines and his vehicle. On Oct. 19, 2012, Lyons was observed in his vehicle at the intersection of Worcester Highway and Bishopville Rd. near Bishopville. Lyons was in the company of a female passenger later identified as Jayna Lynn Griffith, 27, also of Ocean Pines. The vehicle was stopped and Lyons and Griffith were taken into custody.
Pursuant to the warrant, a search of Lyons’ vehicle resulted in the seizure of 1,678 individually-wrapped bags of heroin along with a little over $2,000 in currency. The individually-wrapped bags of heroin have an estimated street value of $41,940, making it the largest heroin seizure in recent history in Worcester County, according to police reports.
A search and seizure warrant was executed a Lyons’ Ocean Pines residence resulting in the seizure of an additional seven bags of heroin. Lyons and Griffith were transported to the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office at which time they were each charged with possession of heroin with intent to distribute-large amount, possession with intent to distribute heroin, possession of heroin and importation of heroin.
In March, Lyons pleaded guilty to one count of possession of cocaine-large amount and sentencing was deferred. Back in court on Monday, Lyons was sentenced to 20 years in jail, 10 of which were then suspended. Lyons will serve a mandatory minimum of five years without the possibility of parole. He was also fined $5,000 and was placed on probation for five years upon his release.
In July, Griffith was sentenced to eight years with all but one suspended. She was also placed on probation for three years and fined $500. The investigation was successful as a result of the combined effort of the Worcester County Criminal Enforcement Team, Ocean City Police Department Narcotics Unit and D.E.A. Salisbury Post of Duty.
Offender Gets 28 Years
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man on the city’s Safe Streets program’s Top 25 Offenders list, was found guilty this week on multiple weapons charges following an incident near a pub in January and was sentenced to 28 years.
On Tuesday, a Wicomico jury found Aaron Jesse Carey, 27, of Salisbury, guilty of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, wearing, carrying or transporting a firearm upon one’s person and in a vehicle and resisting arrest. The charges arose from a traffic stop conducted by Salisbury Police back on January 27 in the area of Shay’s Pub on Columbia Rd.
Carey allegedly displayed a handgun during an altercation behind the pub around 2 a.m. on Jan. 27. The victim fled and police arrived on the scene. However, Carey had already left the scene in a vehicle, but the vehicle was located a short time later. Carey assaulted a police officer during the arrest and the handgun was recovered from the vehicle. Carey was on the Salisbury Safe Streets program’s Top 25 Offender list.
Following his conviction on Tuesday, Carey was sentenced to a total of 28 years active incarceration consecutive to a sentence he is currently serving. The first six years of that new sentence represent a mandatory minimum, non-parole eligible sentence based on Carey’s status as a prohibited person from possessing firearms.
Wicomico County State’s Attorney Matt Maciarello commended the Salisbury Police Department and its Criminal Investigation Division for their work in the prosecution of the case. Maciarello also thanked the citizens of Wicomico who served on the jury and Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Kristen Schultz, who prosecuted the case.
Warrant For Missing Court
SNOW HILL — A Seaford man arrested in June on drunk-driving charges after colliding with a vehicle on the Route 90 bridge, striking a guardrail and continuing on before eventually crashing in a ditch near Bishopville had a warrant sworn out for his arrest this week after failing to appear for trial.
Around 1:20 a.m. on June 21, an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera was traveling west on Route 90 just west of the St. Martin’s River bridge when the driver observed a Volkswagen Passat approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed. The driver of the Oldsmobile moved onto the shoulder for fear of being struck from behind, but the Volkswagen, driven by William Herbert Glenn V, 28, of Seaford, struck the Oldsmobile on its driver’s side.
Glenn’s vehicle then careened into the guardrail in the median but continued heading west on Route 90. The driver of the Oldsmobile called 911 and followed Glenn heading west. A short time later, a Maryland State Police trooper spotted the Volkswagen and started to pursue Glenn, who finally lost control of the vehicle in the area of Route 367 just south of Hotel Rd. near Bishopville and crashed into a roadside ditch.
There were no injuries reported for either Glenn or the driver of the Oldsmobile. Glenn was ultimately charged with driving under the influence. The investigation revealed Glenn was also wanted in Delaware and New Jersey on failure to appear warrants. Glenn was scheduled for trial in Worcester County on Monday but failed to appear and had a warrant sworn out for his arrest.