OCPD Looking For Armed Robbery Suspect

cuffs_2

OCEAN CITY – Ocean City Po-lice this week are looking for a suspect who allegedly robbed a woman, possibly at gunpoint, of her purse and a laptop computer while she was retrieving the items from her car.

Around 7:50 p.m. on Monday, Ocean City Police responded to the area of 81st Street and Coastal Highway for a reported robbery that had just occurred. Officers met with a female victim who told police she was retrieving an item from inside of her parked car when an unknown male suspect approached her from behind and placed what she believed to be a gun to her neck.

The victim was then pushed into her car, at which time the suspect stole the victim’s purse as well as a laptop computer. Ocean City Police forensic services processed the scene for evidence. The suspect is described as an African-American male, 30-40 years old, approximately 5’10" with a muscular build, weighing around 200 pounds. He was wearing dark clothing at the time of the robbery.

Ocean City Police are asking anyone with information about the incident or the suspect to contact OCPD Det. James Rodriguez at (410) 520-5347 or jrodriguez-@oceancitymd.com. Those providing information do not have to leave their name.

Casino Parking Lot Theft

BERLIN – A Bishopville man was arrested on theft charges this week after police caught him stealing money from vehicles parked at the Casino at Ocean Downs.

Around 6:15 on Sunday, a Wor-cester County Sheriff’s Deputy re-sponded to the Casino at Ocean Downs for a reported disorderly in-dividual. The deputy spoke with the casino’s security manager, who had the suspect, later identified as An-tonio Hayward, 24, of Bishopville, detained by a wooded area on the south side of the facility’s parking lot.

The security officer told police he had observed Hayward allegedly attempting to enter vehicles in the parking lot. The security officer confronted Hayward while the suspect was going through a white Suzuki SX4. Hayward fled the scene and the security officer pursued, eventually catching the suspect.

Hayward admitted entering the vehicles in an attempt to gain money for a ride home. A search of Hayward revealed the suspect had over $11 on his person. Hayward admitted the money had been taken from the Suzuki. The owner of the vehicle confirmed the money had been taken from the vehicle’s ashtray. Hayward was charged with theft under $100 and rogue and vagabond. He  was later released on his own recognizance.

Ocean Pines Fire

OCEAN PINES – The Worcester County Fire Marshal’s Office this week in investigating a residential house fire in the Ocean Pines community on Monday evening that sent a resident to Baltimore for treatment.

The fire at a residence on Gate-house Trail in Ocean Pines was reported by a neighbor around 6:45 p.m. on Monday. The Ocean Pines, Showell, Berlin, Bishopville and Ocean City Fire Departments all responded. First arrivers reported fire and smoke showing from the rear of the single-family home. The fire was quickly extinguished, but firefighters remained on the scene for over three hours performing overhaul operations.

Ocean Pines EMS transported the owner and occupant of the residence, John Spalding to PRMC in Salisbury for treatment of respiratory problems. Spalding was later transported by helicopter to Balti-more for further treatment. The initial investigation determined the fire originated in a shop area attached to the rear of the building. The exact cause of the fire is undetermined and the investigation remained open this week Anyone with information is urged to contact Deputy Fire Marshal Matt Owens at (410) 632-5666.

Wal-Mart Shoplifter Busted

BERLIN – A Berlin man was arrested on theft charges this week after allegedly shoplifting items from the Wal-Mart on Route 50.

Around 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday, a Worcester County Sheriff’s Deputy responded to Wal-Mart on Route 50 for a reported shoplifting incident. The deputy met with a store employee who had observed a suspect, later identified as Lesley Fraley, 55, of Berlin, leave the store without paying for items. When confronted, Fraley admitted taking the items, valued at around $70, from the store without paying for them. Fraley was charged with theft under $100 and was later released pending trial.

Swiped Phone From Unconscious Man

SALISBURY – A Salisbury man was arrested on theft charges this week after allegedly taking a cell phone from a man who had fallen in the street and was unconscious.

Around 8:35 a.m. last Saturday, Salisbury Police responded to the area of North Blvd. and Waverly Drive for a reported individual in the roadway. Officers located the victim, who had fallen in the roadway rendering him unconscious. The victim was transported to PRMC and was later released.

While on the scene, Salisbury officers were approached by a witness who told police while the victim was unconscious in the street, a suspect, later identified as Sahid Muctarr Sesay, 23, of Salisbury, approached the unconscious man and took a cell phone from his pocket. The witness provided a description of the suspect and told police the suspect had entered a nearby business.

Salisbury Police located Sesay in the business and a witness positively identified him. The cell phone was found on Sesay, who was arrested and charged with theft under $200.

Former State’s Attorney Arrested

SALISBURY– A former Wicomico County State’s Attorney was arrested last week for allegedly violating a protective order.

Shortly before 4 p.m. last Thurs-day, Salisbury Police arrested former Wicomico County State’s At-torney Davis Rutherford Ruark, 56, of Salisbury, on a warrant for alleg-edly violating a protective order. The protective order had been issued by the Wicomico County Dis-trict Court on behalf of a victim back in Sept-ember. The victim told police Ruark allegedly attempted to contact her numerous times between October 2-3.

Alleged Rape at Knifepoint

SALISBURY– A Marion Station man was arrested on first-degree rape, first-degree assault and other serious charges last week after allegedly forcing a woman at knifepoint to remote area before sexually assaulting her.

Around 3:30 a.m. last Friday, Salisbury Police responded to the area of Alabama Ave. and Beau-champ Street for a reported rape. Upon arrival, officers met with an adult female victim who told police she had been in a parking lot at the end of Alabama Ave. when a lone suspect accosted her. The victim told police the suspect produced a knife and forced her to re-locate to an area away from the parking lot where she was raped.

The suspect, later identified as Devron David Holloway-Smith, 19, of Marion Station, fled the area on foot. Salisbury Police established a perimeter and immediately began a search of the area. Officers, with the assistance of K-9 Miso, were able to apprehend Holloway-Smith after a considerable foot chase. The investigation revealed Holloway-Smith was responsible for an earlier attempted assault on an adult fe-male in the area of the Super Giant on S. Salisbury Blvd.

The victim was transported to PRMC for treatment and was released. Holloway-Smith was ar-rested and charged with first- and second-degree rape, first- and second-degree assault, first- and second-degree sexual assault and numerous other charges.

Crack Dealer Gets 15 Years

SALISBURY – A Salisbury man was found guilty last week in Wicomico Circuit Court on a possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine charge and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

A Wicomico County jury last week found Ryan Lamar Johnson, 24, of Salisbury, guilty of possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine. Johnson was sentenced to 15 years in prison, 10 of which are the statutory mandatory minimum with a limited possibility of parole.

The charges against Johnson arose out of a narcotics investigation conducted by Salisbury Police, which executed a search and seizure warrant at an apartment on Adams Ave. During the execution of the warrant, Johnson was found in possession of two bags of crack cocaine along with $2,300 in cash.

Adult Neglect Suspects Convicted

SALISBURY- Two Fruitland residents face as many as 10 years in jail after being found guilty last week in Wicomico County Circuit Court of first-degree neglect of a vulnerable adult.

Last Wednesday, a Wicomico County Circuit Court judge found George Baker and Michelle Hundley, both of Fruitland, guilty of first-degree neglect of a vulnerable adult. The charges against Baker and Hundley arose following the admission of the victim to PRMC back on January 22, 2010. Baker and Hundley were found guilty of neglecting the victim over a long period of time between March 2009 and January 2010.

Baker and Hundley were found guilty of depriving the victim of necessary medical care and nourishment. When the victim arrived at Peninsula Regional Medical Center, she weighed just 60 pounds and was covered in bedsores of varying degrees of severity. Once the hospital staff observed the victim’s condition, they notified the Department of Social Services and the Fruitland Police, which conducted an investigation.

Baker and Hundley each face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a fine not exceeding $10,000. Sentencing is set for December 2. Wicomico State’s Attorney commended Social Services, and Detective Brian Beaver of the Fruitland Police for the investigation, and Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Joel Todd for the prosecution of the case.

OCPD Offers Off-Season Safety Tips

OCEAN CITY- With the change of seasons, fewer people in town and more vacant residences and condominiums, the Ocean City Police this week are reminding residents of a few basic safety tips.

The OCPD this week is reminding citizens to continue to remain vigilant for suspicious activity, persons and suspicious circumstances and advising residents to notify the police if any of these types of occurrences are detected. Also, citizens can take basic crime prevention steps to reduce their vulnerability to crime by remembering to secure doors and windows and to periodically re-check the security of all of these items.

Residents and visitors are reminded to make certain that exterior lighting is operational. Keep trees and shrubs trimmed from the front of eye level windows. Do not post vacation or travel plans on social media web sites such as "Facebook", "Twitter" or "MySpace".

Citizens can also participate in one of eight different active neighborhood watch groups located in Ocean City. These groups are located in the residential areas of the city including Caines Woods, Caine Keys 2, Bayshore Drive, the Boardwalk, Edgewater Avenue, Little Salisbury, Montego Bay and Sundowner Park. These neighborhood watch groups have been instrumental in reducing crime and keeping citizens informed of various public safety issues.

Residents planning on leaving the area for any extended period of time are also urged to take advantage of the OCPD "Residential Security Check Program". This free program is available to all Ocean City residents whether they own or rent, live in a condominium or a single family home. By providing the OCPD with basic information regarding vacancy at properties and emergency contact information, the OCPD will conduct checks of properties at random times each day to verify its security. To participate in this program simply call the OCPD Public Affairs Office at either: 410-723-6663 or 410-520-5395 or visit the OCPD website at: http://oceancitymd.gov/Police/securitycheck.html.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

HTML tags are not allowed.