Five Years For Shooting Incident

SNOW HILL – A Berlin man arrested in June on attempted murder charges after being identified as the suspect in a shooting incident outside the American Legion in March pleaded guilty last week in Circuit Court to reckless endangerment and was sentenced to five years in jail.

On March 26, two shots were fired from a handgun at an unidentified victim during an incident outside the American Legion in Berlin. Five days later on April 2, Berlin Police officers, assisted by the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, executed a search and seizure warrant on a residence at the Homes of Berlin I apartments. The search focused on a firearm used in an incident outside the American Legion back on March 26, but the suspect, identified as Gary Lee Dupont, J4., 20, of Berlin, was not located at the time.

Warrants for Dupont’s arrest were filed, charging him with attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and the use of a handgun in the commission of a felony, but he remained at large and was considered armed and dangerous by police until he was arrested in June in Wicomico County after a brief chase near Powellville.

On June 17, a Wicomico County Sheriff’s Deputy attempted to pull over a scooter for speeding on Mt. Hermon Rd. near Powellville. When the scooter slowed down, the driver, later identified as Dupont, jumped off the moving vehicle and fled on foot. The Wicomico Sheriff’s Deputy, not certain why the scooter driver would flee a speeding stop, pursued Dupont on foot and apprehended him after a brief chase of about 150 yards.

Initially, Dupont provided the deputy with false information about his identity. However, upon further questioning, the deputy was able to ascertain the suspect was Dupont. A search of Dupont’s real name and record revealed he was wanted in Worcester County on an outstanding warrant for attempted murder and other serious charges.

Dupont was arrested and charged in Wicomico County with resisting arrest and providing false information to law enforcement. Dupont was later extradited to Worcester County on the warrants charging him with attempted second-degree murder, first-and second-degree assault, weapons charges and reckless endangerment.

Last week in Circuit Court, Dupont pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment and was sentenced to five years in jail. He was given credit for the 180 days he spent in jail awaiting trial. The other charges, including attempted second-degree murder, were not prosecuted as a result of the plea arrangement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>