OCEAN CITY – An annual initiative designed to give high school graduates celebrating their recent accomplishments something to do outside of the drug and alcohol world kicks off Friday night.
The annual Play It Safe program is a combined effort of the Ocean City Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention Committee and the Town of Ocean City with coordination provided by the Worcester County Health Department. Numerous businesses also contribute to the cause in many different ways.
The events begin Friday, June 1 with a beach dance from 6-9 p.m. on the beach at Dorchester Street and the Boardwalk.
The following is a look at the events planned over the three-week campaign.
- Event planned on Sunday, June 3, Sunday, June 10 and June 17 is karaoke, 5-8 p.m. on the beach at Dorchester Street and the Boardwalk, feature individual and group competitions. In the case of rain during any of these Sundays, location will be H2O2 on Worcester Street and is limited to the first 400 people.
- Four activities will be held on Mondays, June 4, 11 and 18. windsurfing will be offered each Monday from 10 a.m.-noon and a kayak relay will be held at 4 p.m. at the 48th Street Water Sports Center. Moonlight bowling will be offered to the first 215 attendees starting at 10 p.m. at Ocean Lanes on 72nd Street. From 10 p.m.-midnight, indoor and outdoor miniature golf will be offered at Old Pro Golf on 68th Street.
- Tuesdays, June 5, 12, and 19 will be busy days for attendees and volunteers. A beach volleyball tournament will be held on Dorchester Street and the beach with sign-ups at 4:30 p.m. and games from 6 p.m.-until. karaoke will be offered from 5 p.m.-until on the Dorchester Street beach. Pancakes for all, plus a Pancake Eating Contest will be held from 10 p.m.-midnight at Happy Jack Pancake House.
- On Wednesdays, June 6, 13 and 20, a miniature golf tournament will be held from noon-3 p.m. at Maui Golf and a 3-on-3 basketball tournament will be held at Northside Park with signups at 7 p.m. and games at 8 p.m.
- Thursdays, June 7, 14 and 21 will feature Slide ‘n Ride and miniature golf from 4-6 p.m. on 65th Street; open use of the OC Health and Racquet Club on 61st Street from 9-11 p.m.; and laser tag, miniature golf and rock climbing at Planet Maze/Laser Storm from 11 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Fridays, June 8, 15 and 22 will feature a tennis tournament from 1-3 p.m. at the OC Tennis Center, and laser tag, miniature golf and rock climbing to the first 200 at Planet Maze/Laser Tag from 11 p.m.-1 a.m.
The month-long program concludes with a Sunset Park Concert on Friday, June 22 from 7:30-9 p.m. Sunset Park is located on S. Division Street, six blocks of the Route 50 Bridge.